Fly Fusion Forums

Gov't Closing Campgrounds

Well the Gov't in its infinite wisdom is at it again. This time closing Provincial Campgrounds. Looks like Chain Lakes and Cottonwood on the Old Man among others are going to be closed now. Day use only.

This sucks although with the state of repair and management that many of these places have endured, I'm not surprised that not many people camp there. I was at Cottonwood a couple of years ago, got there around 6 and had to go without fire for the night because the wood sales truck never did come around. It is details like this that make people think what am I doing here? I may as well random camp - at least then I can go gather up some wood to burn!

It is really frustrating what has become of our parks BUT instead of fixing the problems these guys decide to close them!!! Good strategy, ignore them to death then close them and hope no one notices!

Here is the link -

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/travel/Prov...2481/story.html

BC tried that several years ago, the government got crapped on from great heights by chambers of commerce, tourist associations and fish & game groups all over the province. So the service was reduced on some to "User Maintained" with no camp fees and added fees to campsites that required daily maintenance. So far so good.

j

Politics, mostly.

This just shows the shortsightedness of our government. Someone is usually making a quick buck, with little regard for the consequences.

What often happens is that private campgrounds nearby will 'influence' the closure. In some cases, private companies will actually take over the contract for campground maintenance. Then they offer poor service (for good compensation, I might add). Even if there is an outcry, it will be a year before a new contract is awarded. By that time the damage has been done - final nails in the coffin. What choice does the consumer have but to go to a better campground and pay more?(or random camping as suggested) Just so happens that the 'better' campgrounds are run by the same company that got the contract for the other campground. They just pocket the money or invest it in their own campground. I would like to see the details of some of these dealings. Is it available from FOIP? Maybe we can do a little prying here.

Cheers

Chain Lakes (west of Nanton) is not on the list. here. (Thanks to BBT for pointing out the difference.)

The closures or reduced services are unfortunate. Electricity was added at Cottonwood two years ago and use was way up last year. (Casual observation.) Three years ago they could not get a private operator there, and that may explain why it is being reduced to a day-use area...which is nonsense as there already is a a large day-use area there.

Looking at the dense clusters of campgrounds in SW Alberta I can't see how this will make random camping worse. Random camping already out of control and the MLAs and ministers simply will do nothing. Please write your MLA and Mel Knight and tell them what you think. Not enough people are letting their MLAs and the minister know how they feel! Don't post here ... write a letter instead!

Here is the contact info for the SRD minister.

Here is how to contact your MLA.

According to MLA, Evan Berger, (letter to me April 8, 2010), there is a new Public Lands Act which will make it easier to enforce land use regs. However, until there is real change in random camping enforcement (specifically, adherence to the 14-day rule) I don't believe it. Just more verbal bullshit.

See here... random camping webpage made in 2002.

The same goddamn cookhouse was still up in 2008!! It simply has been moved.

If you want a copy of the letter I recently rec'd from Evan Berger (MLA Livingstone-McLeod) and email letter I sent to him, send me an email. The reply is mostly just blah blah blah.

CLIVES AT SHAW DOT CA

I also sent Morton a long letter and "report" on random camping in late 2008 .. I can send that to you as well. His reply was worse than Berger's reply!

Clive

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sundancefisher

Anyone upset about the campground closures should call the tourism minister. Apparantely they are looking for private contractors to run it. Therefore if you are retired and want to camp somewhere for free and make a little money and meet people...consider making an offer.