Fly Fusion Forums

Getting A Drift Boat

Guest FoamStoner

Guest Jeremie

My dads getting a drift boat. Brand new from hyde i think. How are they for lakes. Will an 80lb thrust electric motor push that around? I will be down on the bow a hell of a lot more =)

i use my on lakes almost all of the time....no motor, I need the exercise! I can't suggest a motor size but unless your hitting large lakes I wouldn't worry about having one. As long as your not going against a gale force wind you should have no problems getting around.

I've used a 35 ft-lb thrust on mine, gets you where you want to go. It's actually just easier to row than mess around with batteries and the motor. The boats are rated for like 10 hp though.

When possible, I'd rather fish out of a kick tube or pontoon then a drift boat on lakes.

Guest Jeremie

thats one of the ones my dad was looking at, but i think he will buy one and then get a second pontoon for lakes. So he will probably get a better electric motor for the drift boat and us it also on the second pontoon. thanks for the help guys

thats one of the ones my dad was looking at, but i think he will buy one and then get a second pontoon for lakes. So he will probably get a better electric motor for the drift boat and us it also on the second pontoon. thanks for the help guys

The boat I referred to is made for a gas outboard so you can run back up rivers or travel a long ways on a lake to get to where you want to be. I found my electric to not be such a great thing on the drift boat, which is the reason I recommended the power drifter model.

Hope this helps.