Fly Fusion Forums

Sanitizing Hackle

Ricinus

I bought a selection of Soft Hackle Capes from the U.K...While they look in great shape and have been prepared well, I want to make sure no little critters came along for the ride. I thought microwaving would kill any bugs and nuke the eggs if any. Has anyone done this and can offer some suggestions?

Thanks Mike

Microwaving and freezing can be iffy. Moth balls works best. If I get in any tying supplies that look questionable I usually was it in soapy water. and dry out with a hair drier. another good addition is get a flea and tick collar the plastic kind, cut em up and put them in the bags with your capes etc.

I bought a selection of Soft Hackle Capes from the U.K...While they look in great shape and have been prepared well, I want to make sure no little critters came along for the ride. I thought microwaving would kill any bugs and nuke the eggs if any. Has anyone done this and can offer some suggestions?

Thanks Mike

Microwaving and freezing can be iffy. Moth balls works best. If I get in any tying supplies that look questionable I usually was it in soapy water. and dry out with a hair drier. another good addition is get a flea and tick collar the plastic kind, cut em up and put them in the bags with your capes etc.

I'll go with the moth balls and flea and tick collar

Thanks much Mike

Put the hackle in a ziploc bag, pour in a 1/3 cup of isopropyl alcohol. Seal it, allow a couple of days to kill off anything, remove and allow to dry.

j

Doesn't this affect the hackle at all?-- make it brittle, change color etc.

Regards Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Doesn't this affect the hackle at all?-- make it brittle, change color etc.

Regards Mike

Been doing it for 20 years with wild and domestic, doesn't change colour, have never found them turning brittle, Mike.

j

Been doing it for 20 years with wild and domestic, doesn't change colour, have never found them turning brittle, Mike.

j

Thats surprizing, I think I'll try that this fall. Expanding on this, have you ever tried tanning a hide before? I know you can send them to Edmonton, but I've heard you never get your actual hide back. We use to use a guy in Strathmore, but I think he closed shop.

Thats surprizing, I think I'll try that this fall. Expanding on this, have you ever tried tanning a hide before? I know you can send them to Edmonton, but I've heard you never get your actual hide back. We use to use a guy in Strathmore, but I think he closed shop.

I don't tan most hides but clean it well and take all meat and fat off then coat it in borax, changing the borax after a week and leave for around a month or so. I then hang them in a dry area and cut what I need as required.

As to critters, Jack has nailed it perfectly. I also however sometimes nuke a small sample I will be using for 15 seconds or so anyway.

I don't tan most hides but clean it well and take all meat and fat off then coat it in borax, changing the borax after a week and leave for around a month or so. I then hang them in a dry area and cut what I need as required.

As to critters, Jack has nailed it perfectly. I also however sometimes nuke a small sample I will be using for 15 seconds or so anyway.

there is still an old method not mentioned...SALT...that is a strong solution of non iodized salt..a 'brine solution'. In my taxidermy years, that was how I was taught but since the availability of 'borax', that is the best way and it is cheaper than buy isopropyl alcohol, which by the way Jack is an older way than salt!