Fly Fusion Forums

Finally ! New Sa Spey Lines Are Coming

jack

Four new SA spey lines are being introduced tomorrow at the M&Y Spey Clave in Chilliwack, BC. Skagit Extreme and Scandi heads along with some new short head lines. Should be interesting, as I have always found that SA lines are substantially more durable/longer lasting than some others. I'll post some thoughts after I play with them.

j

• 4 weeks later...
Nice to see SA is finally catching up to Airflo.

Yeah, finally !

Sent some recommendations back to SA(product development guy is the one who invented Sharkskin), he is turning out some 300 grain scandi floating heads with 021 diameter Sharkskin shooting line to go with the 1134 Trout Spey.

j

Yeah, finally !

Sent some recommendations back to SA(product development guy is the one who invented Sharkskin), he is turning out some 300 grain scandi floating heads with 021 diameter Sharkskin shooting line to go with the 1134 Trout Spey.

j

oh now you tell me. is it for sale yet? i might as well have the head that is developed for the rod...

Yeah, finally !

j

Jack,

Do you know the length of the head? Right now I use a 300 grain head with three feet cut off to turn it into a 17gram head that is absoultly aswome on my 6wt 9foot 6 loop multi (single Hand) rod, which I do single hand spey casts which absoultly rock, I belive the head is roughly 36 feet after it is chopped and weighted at 17 grams (which is at the top of the grain window for that rod)

So in saying that I basically use it like a skagit head but on my single hand rod, but have to watch out for head length cause need to put shooting line and backing on the reel, but with a large arbour Bauer reel it fits nicely.

I'm assuming compact scandi length, around 29', for as wide a range of casters as possible. In fact the Airflo 300 Compact is pretty close to perfect. What I asked them to do, was lengthen the front taper and "tune it" for more dry fly friendly casting. What I have in mind is compact scandi castability and dry fly presentation. We'll see what happens.

j