Fly Fusion Forums

What Airflo 40+?

Enigma

I've presently got my reel spooled up with Sage Performance Indicator Tape Fly Line (I think it is 260gr). I'm not excited about it. I can't really feel the rod load, and as I'm as green as they come it would really be helpful to be able to feel the rod load.

On Sunday (at the Spey Clinic), three of the gentlemen there recommended Airflo 40+ for my rod (an 11.5' 6wt). To get the same recommendation, three times, from three different people makes me think that this is a very good idea.

A quick look on Ebay shows me that there are many different kinds of this 40+ line: Extreme Distance, Cold Salt, Fly Fishing, Trout . . . and then there is sinking and floating on top of all of that!

I'll be fishing the Bow for trout, in addition to some of the big reservoirs for pike. I'll be tossing some pretty big streamers which will get pretty heavy when they get wet (double bunnies, deceivers, etc.). I don't really want to have to change anything other than my leader when fishing for one or the other. I'd like to have a good idea what exactly I'm looking for before I head down to one of the local shops (can I say names on here?) . . . any advice would be most welcome :)

Do you mean 6wt as a spey or single hand rating? And do you plan on doing mostly spey casts or double overhead casting with it?

You might want to grab Fishtales Airflo compact scandi kit yourself one day just to try out different grain weights on what you have. The kit goes down to 270 in 30 grain increments. If you're set on a 40+ you'd be looking for the Extreme Distance floating line.

Grain weights of the 40+

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=34150

5=243grns

6=261grns

7=284grns

8=323grns

9=365grns

Hi Guys,

I would be careful when lining up a Airflo 40+, the lines are over rated as far as weight goes, the reason for this is when they brought them out they wanted most guys to go (look at that fecker fly) , if not set up right it can be tiring casting a heavy what is really a shooting head with integated running line all day.

Nip down to fishtales like cheerler says, and get it dialed in before you go buy one that may not suit your rod.

Gordon.

Just to eliminate any confusion here, there is an Airflo Compact Scandi kit that has all the different weight heads in it but no such thing exists for the 40+ lines. While both lines are shooting heads, they are still different as the 40+ has a 35' head regardless of the line weight and the Compact Scandi ranges between 29' and 34' depending on grain weight. If the rod is going to be used for nymphing, I'd recommend the 40+ as it's a full line and there won't be problems with a loop to loop connection between the head and running line getting caught in the guides when fishing at shorter distances. I have a Compact Scandi and Ridge running line on my switch and the loop to loop is definitely a problem when nymphing. I know I could get some heat shrink tubing to put over the connection like Max has on his setup, but I honestly haven't had the time.

Thanks for all of the info, guys :)

I'll be spey casting almost exclusively with this rod, as I do have both single handed 5wt (8.5') and 6wt (9') rods. I'm still trying to nail down the precise grain window of my 6wt switch. It is approximately 250-500.

I do really like the thought of being able to try out the different grains using the Airflo Compact Scandi kit, especially since I deal with a joint injury that might be aggravated by a heavier shooting head (and my developing spey casting skills). It would be nice to be able to switch to a lighter head if my elbow started to hurt.

At the same time, I can certainly appreciate that the loop-to-loop connection could complicate things when nymphing (which I'll do a little of), and I would like to keep things as uncomplicated as possible for the time being . . . and there are significant cost savings to be had if I can nail down a 40+ line that will cover most of the bases for me.

I think I'll put the Airflo kit on my "Mother's Day Wish List," and have a look at 40+ Extreme Distance in 7wt and 8wt when I get down to Fish Tales :)

I didn't mean to imply that you need to buy the kit - they will lend it out for you to try lines, so you can find wheat you like.

They would do that? Wow. That's very cool :) I had no idea.

While the 40+ is a nice line for speycasting, it is not suited for bunny flies.

The fronttaper is to fine to do that.

You would be better of with a line with a heavier tip.

Hmm. I've got a 9/10 spey. Perhaps I should limit the use of my bunny flies to that and forget trying to use them on my 6wt? Admittedly, most of my bunny flies wind up something akin to wet socks after their first drowning.