Fly Fusion Forums

Horse River Access (fort Mcmurray)

Wondering if anyone can help me out with access to the Horse River. Would it be best to walk the Mile along the Atha or is there access from Albasands.

I know I could use the try and see method, but I don't have much time after work to go exploring.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe if you were a mountain goat you would be able to access the horse along the Atha. Tried it last night, and after a couple hundred feet I decided that the fishing wasn't worth it. I did find out that my right leg is apparently longer than my left, cus I had a harder time coming back the same route.........lol.

I found a few flies last night that I would like to ID. First one I think was a Golden Stone, about a 1 1/4" long wings covering the abdomen, six legs with a yellowish under body. I did see several white shucks along the river bank about 7/8-1" long. Second one I'm guessing is a yellow sally, about 5/16" long, bright yellow body, with 4 wings, white to transparent. Can anyone confirm if I'm right or not, I don't see a problem with tying something to match, but I would like to know what I'm tying? I might be totaly off on these as this is the first time I've seen either of these flies.

Thanks

Well I might just have to take a shot at some Grayling while up in Fort Mac for the next 2 weeks.

I'm hoping to cut my stay short and get back down south, but if I can get into some fish, My stay might not be so bad.

How have the other streams been barnes?

MTB

The streams opened as of June 1, with the Horse being my first attemp at running water. I'm going to try Saline and Saprea (sp?) hopefully before I head home on Thursday. The Hangingstone will be open during my next rotation, so I hope to fish it a few time next week.

If I do get out, I'll let you know how I did.

I'll be fishing somewhere along the 881 and have done alright in the past.

I just don't get much out of catching Grayling. Been there, done that.

It's a toss up between fishing to feed the addiction, or tying flies in my hotel room for when I get down south.

Where you working? I'll be at Opti on Thursday morning for a few days and then off to a few other plants unless I can send someone else in my place so I can go fishing.

I'm leaning towards option B....

I hear you.

Once you get back to town, You don't feel like fighting the 24 hour a day traffic to get back to the water.

I would most likely hit the creeks between Long lake and Conoco Sumount on my drive to and from sites.

I always intend to hit a creek or two, but never do.

Maybe this time.

So I take it you're on the Nexen side of things at Long Lake?

I am working with Opti on the Commissioning and Start up as of this week.

Not a big fan of the way they run things, but I'm a money pig.