Fly Fusion Forums

Electric Hot Water Heater

So I just closed on my first house. The one thing that bothers me about it is the 74 gal electric water heater. I have been told electric will cost way more to heat than a gas unit, not to mention the massive size of this heater. Does anyone have experience with these? Should I try it out or plan to change it ASAP?

Also, anyone looking for a large electric water heater? :D

hrm you're gas bill will be lower, why don't you google it and see what is more efficient, also another thing to keep in mind, if you're gonna save yourself 10 bucks a month on heating water at the cost of replacing the unit, how many months will it take you to recover the 1500 it will cost you for a new hot water tank?

if you're gonna save yourself 10 bucks a month on heating water at the cost of replacing the unit, how many months will it take you to recover the 1500 it will cost you for a new hot water tank?

Ya thats kinda what i am asking about. If it is less eficient is it a large diff? One thing with it being a large volume is the heat can be turned down. I read 60 C is as low as you should go to aviod bacteria biuld up

Lets put it this way a 65000 BTU gas hot water heater will output 19051.5 watts of engery. an electric puts out 6000 watts times 2 (top and bottem element). The electric will also draw 50 amps. I cant find info on how long they take to heat the water though. Or gas consumption.

Thanks for the info guys.

Ya it is a 6000W. I didn't get the model number... wish I had. The info i took down was the wattage and the brand 'Gaint' - suits the size of it.

Would the capacity play a large role in the power requirments as well? Or as long as it was staying mainly full that might not effect it as much? Like wuld keeping 73 gal at a certain temp be fairly close to the power requirments for keeping 43 gal warm..... Getting into thermodynamics now.

I found an article comparing a 40,000 BTU/hr Gas heater vs a 4500 watt electric heater.

To heat 1 gal of water would cost.

Gas = 17 cents

Electric = 49 cents

This does assume that both hae 100% efficiency.

Ya hopfully that would make it easier. Pluse with a high efficient gas unit it can be vented out the side wall which i am sure i could handle.

I havn't heard yet from any who has one in there house so i may end up going a month or two and seeing how my bills look before i make the decission.