Fly Fusion Forums

Cheap Beads?

dude1125

Does anybody know of cheap source of copper/nickel/tungsten etc. beads in Calgary. Do any of the bead shops in Calgary carry some metal beads that won't rust. Speaking of cheap fly tying materials I picked up some clear and red glass beads from the dollar store that make great streamers bodies. Another question is how to secure the glass beads properly. I must be tying the streamers wrong because they don't last to long before the beads slide down to the curve of the hook despit all the glue and wraps of thread that I put on.

Sorry if this topic has been covered before.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

the only cheap bead heads come from China in VERY large amounts. Some people have put together orders on the fly tier forum.

Guest Dennis59

Not sure about Calgray but here in Edmonton we have Helford hides and they carry all kinds beads doubt they carry tungsten. Also if you have a Tandy leather this store also carries beads.

these stores carry a l ot of leather craft materials along with some interesting fur and bulk hackle for a lot less than other places.

Good Luck you your search

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :laxfisher::fish_jump:

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i use the #8 beads from "Beads & Plenty", like $2 for 1000 +-. They work great for 14-16 nymphs.

I think most of the beads will have a problem making it around the bend because they dont have the big taper of the "fly" beads.

Thanks for all the help. I found out my wife has some plastic beads and found out they do not go over the bend of the hook. I went the bead shop in Northland Mall and picked a few glass beads in size 6, 8 and 10 to tie up some glass bead "caddis" nymphs.

26235_406420565890_633880890_5337267_321499_a.jpg

This is a size 10 bead on #14 caddis hook. Sorry about the crappy picture. I'll go blind putting those small beads on.

26235_406420570890_633880890_5337268_2920667_a.jpg

This is a size 8 bead on #8 hook. This is much easier tie.

I bought a few different colours and sizes of beads to test this season. I think I should have bought more of the size 6 beads. The 8's should be good for steamer bodies. Lots of fishy colours to chose from. I not sure if the metal beads are going to work out they only slide over hooks with a large round bend.

I got few tying ideas from this blog http://singlebarbed.com/