Fly Fusion Forums

Thanks

jononfire

Hey, in the fall i posted here about getting into fly tying. After some thought i decided no tot take it up due to the cost. Well last week I went and geared up (using gift certificates). I spent the money on a good vise and some tools and have been having a blast tying and catching fish on some of those flies. So thanks to all for you advice

Hey, in the fall i posted here about getting into fly tying. After some thought i decided no tot take it up due to the cost. Well last week I went and geared up (using gift certificates). I spent the money on a good vise and some tools and have been having a blast tying and catching fish on some of those flies. So thanks to all for you advice

Awesome, keep it going!

I haven't bought a fly for years now and I have had success with many of my own creations. Let your brain wonder a bit and giver. There are creations that nobody has thought of yet.

Good Luck!!!

Brace yourself, it gets pretty pricey from this point on...your fly's just went from costing $12/dozen to approximately $20.

Hopefully the quality increases as well as the price!!!

Have fun, I too like catching the fish on a fly I constructed at home in my vise on a cold winter night.

i definitely was not expecting to save money when i decided to star tying but i am going to be controlling it hahaha (i hope). I am just really glad to have something constructive to do when i am not fishing or cant fish or just to fill an hour when i need to. i am really enjoying it.

The idea is to not just go buy any materials with out direction. Start with a pattern you use and will benefit from tying and buy those materials. Sooner or later from all the flys you tie you will be able to make other patterns with the exsisting materials.

I agree. Sure, you leave the shop $30 poorer because you just bought the materials for a fly you want to tie. But my buddy just spent $30 on 1 doz flies he's going to loose pretty quick. At least your materials will last quite a while.

I've spent, I don't know, maybe 1-2k on materials now. Over 6-7 years. But now, I very rarely buy anything other the hooks and maybe beedheads.

I bet my buddies have spent that over the same time period (depends on how much you fish/lose) and I probably have 4x the flys they have.

So, I think if you fish a lot, tying your own becomes cheaper in the long run (not counting your time, of course)

I agree today i decided to lear the evil weevil and picked up the stuff for it but all i really need that i didnt have was material for the flashback...so i bought a variety pack of ice dub and now i have alot of variety and i have only been tying for a week.