Fly Fusion Forums

Wiggle Tubes

headscan

Picked up a Canadian Tube Fly assortment of wiggle tubes from Fish Tales on the weekend and got around to trying one out last night. They say not to tie directly onto the wiggle tube or you won't be able to get it off the mandrel but Tear Mender works just fine. Can't wait to see how they swim in the current.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Looking good.

I picked up a pack of tubes and an adapter last weekend and started to tie up a couple myself, Collie dogs and some shirmp pats...........unfornutly my waterproof camera isn't so waterproof, 3 ft of water must of blew the seals.

I have been tying a variation of this fly for steelhead for several years now. It's called the articulated Bunny Leech, and it's a deadly fly. Instead of tubes you clip the hook off a long shank and tie down a loop of spiderwire. Hitch a second hook onto the line, build body and go. The action on this fly is amazing. Is this just a variation of a Tube Fly, or are there other materials in here I'm not seeing?

It's just a MOAL leech variation tied on a wiggle tube instead. I've tied them the way you do and just thought this would be an interesting alternative. I found it's a little easier to tie them on the tube, mainly because I only have one vise. The other thing is the way I tie my MOALs they end up being a single hook fly because I start the rabbit pretty far back. With the tube version obviously you can easily change the hook if it gets bent or dull. Here are a couple I tied on shanks and 30lb dacron. They're also a lot longer than the tube version above.

web.jpg

It's just a MOAL leech variation tied on a wiggle tube instead. I've tied them the way you do and just thought this would be an interesting alternative. I found it's a little easier to tie them on the tube, mainly because I only have one vise. The other thing is the way I tie my MOALs they end up being a single hook fly because I start the rabbit pretty far back. With the tube version obviously you can easily change the hook if it gets bent or dull. Here are a couple I tied on shanks and 30lb dacron. They're also a lot longer than the tube version above.

web.jpg

Amazing work!! How long is each fly? Would you have a pattern for those that you would be willing to share.