Fly Fusion Forums

Oar Rights

Need to buy a pair of Oar Rights for a Hyde drift boat. Can't seem to find any place locally that sells them on the www....anyone know of any place? If not, I guess I'll order from Hyde. But rather just go pick a pair up if we can.

Need to buy a pair of Oar Rights for a Hyde drift boat. Can't seem to find any place locally that sells them on the www....anyone know of any place? If not, I guess I'll order from Hyde. But rather just go pick a pair up if we can.

I have a NEW pair that I used once on my Hyde but I do not like them at all. I live in Red Deer if you are interested. I dont know the price I want forthem but I will check the Hyde website to see what the cost was.

Gord @ westwinds usually has some Oar stuff. However, there is a reason you see very few boats with them...hardly required.

I have to disagree with this one. Having lost one oar on our current boat from setting them down for 2 seconds and a rock hitting it an throwing it out of the lock (thankfully there was a guy in a canoe ahead of us that caught it), I won't take that chance again. I like to rest the oars (or more correctly, my arms) when I'm not rowing and I think these are a necessity for us.

Love to hear why people don't like them though...I might be convinced to get something else....

I have to disagree with this one. Having lost one oar on our current boat from setting them down for 2 seconds and a rock hitting it an throwing it out of the lock (thankfully there was a guy in a canoe ahead of us that caught it), I won't take that chance again. I like to rest the oars (or more correctly, my arms) when I'm not rowing and I think these are a necessity for us.

Love to hear why people don't like them though...I might be convinced to get something else....

There are pros and cons on a drift boat PRO: when you are anchored off the oars tuck to the side of the boat and keep the boat tracked and in place so the boat does not move and spook fish while dry flying. CON: I like to roll my wrist when rowing down the water and skim it so to speak in the skinny water like the Red Deer or the Elk River. Most of the rookie rowers prefer the oar locks because there is less room for error while rowing and while anchored...your choice I guess!

Under the rowers seat you have a place to store a spare oar ... not inside the storage bin but underneath...I highly recommend that you get one incase of emergencies