Fly Fusion Forums

Line For Reddington Switch?

bowbuster

|I have a reddington 11' 6" switch 8wt. The guys i bought it from sold me a rio skagit line 420somethin grain (the bigger of the two anyways). And a cheater. Does the cheater add too much extra weight in relation to loading the rod and should i use the lower grain line with the cheater or get rid of the cheater and just use the line that i have. Also, can u use a smaller belly line like a regular fly line , if so im guessing u have to overline and how much? I would really like to be able to single hand cast this rod but with the line i have it doesnt work very well. Any advice welcome...............................................................thankz

You won't need a cheater for a rod that short. It's meant for longer spey rods to keep your leader+line length between 3 and 3.5 times the length of the rod.

For an overhead line you will have to bump it up - possibly to a 10 weight but search around on forums like speypages or ask the manufacturer or pro staff as someone may have already done the work for you.

thanks fo th einfo..........max told me the same thing now that i think of it but i havnt even used it since then and had forgotten about that...no cheater it is.......ill try that out when the season opens here. So, its a 10 wt singlehand flyline if i go that route, id like to try that just to see how it would work, i know where i can get one cheap i think.