Fly Fusion Forums

Nymph Decent

Conor

I've been wondering this for a while, but I've never sorted it out myself.

Does the rate of decent of a nymph make or break your presentation?

For example, does a fly suspended under and indicator or greased leader make a more appealing offering than one sinking (whether fast or slow)?

I've wondered this while sight nymphing, where an indicator has its drawbacks.

Your experience?

well that all depends, different circumstances offer different presentation "opertunities" sometimes an indicator is great because you dead drift, and then at the end of the dead drift, the indicator allows the fly to rise in the water column and now you can tackle like 3 feet of water depth with one cast and imitate emergers or other insects that are closer to the surface of the water, I've had alot of takes with this fashion.

I think it all depends on the situation, where in many cases certain occurances might be your downfall for numerous fish, that exact problem may be precicely what you need to accomplish on another day to bag the same amount of fish. But I'm quite new to the game that's just my 2 cents

I've been wondering this for a while, but I've never sorted it out myself.

Does the rate of decent of a nymph make or break your presentation?

For example, does a fly suspended under and indicator or greased leader make a more appealing offering than one sinking (whether fast or slow)?

I've wondered this while sight nymphing, where an indicator has its drawbacks.

Your experience?

I don't seem to get takes in the first part of my drift so it makes me think sinking isn't as appealing as the dead drift or rise. i'll be interested to hear what the experts have to say.

I'm no expert but I came across a really clear pool last summer and it was holding about 6-8 whitefish. I decided to nymph a bit to just watch what happens as my curiosity for this question is the same. I cast in and I could just barely make out the bead on my nymph. I didn't use a strike indicator, just let the nymph sink naturally and slowly (no split shot either). I was surprised at what I saw. As soon as the nymph starting sinking the whitefish began to line up for a take. As it sank and moved closer to them they rose for it if it wasn't deep. I played around and when I cast further to allow the nymph to be deeper as it approached the fish they simply lined up and inhaled it as it came to them on bottom. When I short casted and it was in the middle of the water column they rose to take it as well. When the nymph was in the upper half of the water column the fish took note and still lined up but about 75% less attempts to actually take the nymph but they still made a pass at it. Needless to say I expected the nymph to float right on by if it wasn't on bottom or within a foot or so of bottom. It was really cool to watch. I played around for a bit and it was consistent. I found another hole with the same scenario and same results. Haven't been able to observe this as clearly with trout but I know in deeper pools as my nymph sinks I often have a take from a trout. This however is usually in turbid water where the water comes over rocks and creates a little eddy behind and very aerated. Could also have been one of those days where it doesn't matter how you cast or what fly the fish were simply on but from what I can tell from this and other experiences (I nymph probably 90% of the time) I have takes throughout the entire float from when the nymph hits the water and of course on the tailout and everywhere in between. Depth of water, where you are located (pool, riffle, etc.), time of day (hatch happening under water, on top of water, etc.) and I'm sure there are other factors, all play in how and when the fish take. I too would like to hear the pros.

Just speculating here, but if the fish are taking high in the water column on a dead drift with indi, you will have a significant amount of slack making seeing the take that much harder. So the fact you are not seeing takes in the beginning (assuming an upstream presentation here) does not mean you are not getting them. Cdock above was visually seeing the fish take the nymph, and without an indi my bet is he could have also seen the take watching how his leader reacted on the surface. With an indi, this would be tougher to see, I think.

it all depends on where you are fishing in relation to drop-offs, etc. My favorite runs oon the bow are gradual drops where water goes from 3ft deep riffles to about 5 or 6 feet. I cast up into the moderately shallow stuff allowing the flies to sink 3 ft and drag a bit on the ledge, sometimes getting takes up there. once it hits the drop off as it travels down expect takes anywhere from 3-6ft deep. But if your talking about a flat same depth peice of water I usually expect takes once the flies have sunken and are close to the bottom (on the bow) this usually takes about 3 seconds or so. Before then I almost never get a strike.

On mountain streams the fish are so agressive usually anything they see they come from all over to get it. You can nymph a cutthroat pool with a stonefly 6 inches under a small indicator and have a riot watching them come slam it. :D