Fly Fusion Forums

Square-cut Cast

lethfisher

I have been reading up on different types of spey casts and apparently this "square-cut cast" is really good for when you are tight to the banks with bushes behind you. I can't seem to find any good description or video of this cast. It is in the Spey Masterclass video by Derek Brown, does anyone have this video?? Does anyone here do this cast or give a description of this cast at all?

Thanks guys!

I have been reading up on different types of spey casts and apparently this "square-cut cast" is really good for when you are tight to the banks with bushes behind you. I can't seem to find any good description or video of this cast. It is in the Spey Masterclass video by Derek Brown, does anyone have this video?? Does anyone here do this cast or give a description of this cast at all?

Thanks guys!

I've seen it in the video but I am at a loss to describe it properly, I think the speypages descriptions suck as well but I generally have a hard time visualizing this stuff from reading it. .I think a perry poke works just as well in most situations and it's a lot easier to perform IMO.

al

yeah i read the speypages stuff on it. I was hoping you guys had a better description. The speypages makes it sound kinda like a snap T that you "snap" out into the current above you then your loop is formed kinda off to your side. Maybe this is what it is but who knows lol

Also how would a perry poke work any better than a single spey? Won't your loop still form behind you? I guess if your talking casting out maybe 45 deg into the run then ya...

I like the guys post below on speypages saying "I feel that the mark of a great caster is the ability to present the fly to the fish - no matter what the conditions"

I know there are lots of air mends you can do in single handed casting to work different currents and situations, I wonder if you can do all these air mends with spey casts? Spey Pile Cast? Spey Reach Cast? Spey Hook Cast?! Oh the possibilities haha

Here is an excellent link on single handed casting games if you are interested http://www.sexyloops.com/carlos/index.shtml

yeah i read the speypages stuff on it. I was hoping you guys had a better description. The speypages makes it sound kinda like a snap T that you "snap" out into the current above you then your loop is formed kinda off to your side. Maybe this is what it is but who knows lol

Also how would a perry poke work any better than a single spey? Won't your loop still form behind you? I guess if your talking casting out maybe 45 deg into the run then ya...

I like the guys post below on speypages saying "I feel that the mark of a great caster is the ability to present the fly to the fish - no matter what the conditions"

I know there are lots of air mends you can do in single handed casting to work different currents and situations, I wonder if you can do all these air mends with spey casts? Spey Pile Cast? Spey Reach Cast? Spey Hook Cast?! Oh the possibilities haha

Here is an excellent link on single handed casting games if you are interested http://www.sexyloops.com/carlos/index.shtml

The poke dumps all the line in front of you so the act of picking it up loads your rod. You can power out a cast without as much of a d loop required. Or so I think. I tend to do it when I am situations like that because it gets the line in front of me so I can perform a cast, perhaps it's more of a roll cast now that I think of it (mine, not the actual poke). You can definitely reach cast with a spey rod, I am sure you can perform pretty much any cast you wanted to.

al

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

Funny how some things are just not mentioned anymore..Derek Brown is a master and the Square Cut is a cast that can be applied to almost any change of direction cast...what you are actually doing is positioning the line away from the bank and obstruction(sometimes) by deliberately moving the line first into the direction of the obstruction and then squaring away .

This cast is suite more to the traditional casts and longer belly lines but can be managed quite well with Scandi and Skagit types lines..

WIll be doing a Spey Casting Clinic in April in Calgary and will demo that cast

C