Fly Fusion Forums

Bbjotw

sometimes we need to pause and remember what life is about: There was a great loss recently in the entertainment world.

Larry LaPrise, the Detroit native who wrote the song "Hokey Pokey," died last week at 93.

It was especially difficult for the family to keep him in the casket.

They put his left leg in . . . and that's when the trouble started! ;)

Nice. Now you wouldn't think I would have a story about the Hokey Pokey, but....

Sunday at the Folk Fest in Edmonton a band from LA was playing. Latino, black, white musicians, sorta political (it was a folk fest), mixture of reggae, hip hop, some rap, lots of rock. Very well played, massive energy. They had the normally placid folk fest crowd standing and dancing for most of their set. After the end, we noticed that people around the stage were still clapping. Then everyone started clapping in rythm, then we noticed the horn section from the band had come into the crowd after the show. First, they did the soccer ole,ole,ole,ole thing. Then they played the hokey pokey. The whole hill was singing, "You put your left leg in..." dancing, the whole bit. It was really awesome, though it sounds stupid now. Now I know it was in the honor of Mr. LePrise. Thanks Birchy.

That whole thing threw me into a philosophical quagmire. I mean, what if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about?

I don't think I've ever seen a philosophical Quagmire ( & I watch "Family Guy" lots); "Giggity-giggity!!!" ;)