Fly Fusion Forums

Is Switch The Answer?

brownsbask

I am looking to add an 8 weight to my quiver, as the heaviest line I currently cast is 5.

The main force behind this desire is a late summer trip to the Bulkley Valley BC, for some salmon and summer steelheading. Something I have never done, and I'll be out there for a wedding.

Other reasons I'm looking for an 8 is the occasional pike trip, bass in the east, something for big streamers, etc.

I have been interested in trying my hand at spey casting, so I was thinking of killing two birds with one stone.

Would a switch rod be the answer? What length? Model recommendations? What kind of investment would I be looking to make in the line department?

Note: I know very little about spey, and I would want to be able to use the rod as a traditional single hand a bunch of time.

A lot of people, myself included, consider it easier to learn to spey cast with a bit of a longer rod like 12'6" or more. If you aren't in a hurry to get one, Fish Tales is doing another Spey-o-rama on April 11th. Good opportunity to try a few different rods and lines and get some pointers for free.

headscan makes a good point.. if u cant get down my guess would be something in teh 11' ish range should do u fine for what you are after.. maybe even a 9wt too give u a little more beef for larger steelhead... a short skagit head should be perfect for you aswell!!!!! but if u can get down too calgary and swing by a few shops and give a few rods a go!

If your main reason is the bulkley trip and want to learn to spey cast then get a spey rod. And take some lessons that will at least teach you the basics (well worth your money, lots of different ones in the spring).There is no single rod that will accommodate the pike/bass and steelhead fishing. And if steelheading is the case get a 7wt -8wt between 12.5' to 13'. Whatever rod you do get it is very important to get the right line for that rod (can be confusing). So I recommend getting a qualified shop (lots of spey knowledge). There are a coupe good ones. Brian at Whistler flyfishing is one of the best in the industry when it comes to lining rods. Do get a skagit line as they will increase your learning curve.

PK

And take some lessons that will at least teach you the basics (well worth your money, lots of different ones in the spring).

Yeah, this is a big difference maker. Videos and books are no substitute for lessons from a qualified instructor. I've taken casting lessons from Brian the last two years and plan to take more this year.

Hi Brownsbask,

Lots of good advice from everybody, i would think a call to Brian would do the trick, or there are some Speycasting classes coming up this spring, i would get a lesson from someone who has been Speycasting for a while, there are lots of guys that have been into Spey in Calgary for a good few years now.

As Spey grows stores want to get into the action, that had no interest in Spey even a year ago so advice can be patchy, give Brian a call, or Toolman or Max on the site, all will be able to help big time and save you a fortune.

Gordo.