Fly Fusion Forums

Going On My First Jetboat Trip Today!

birchy

Posted a message on FlyBC about a last minute trip to Castlegar and fishing the Columbia.. sent an email to a local guide and he replied and said he's going out this afternoon if I wanted to join him..

Emailed back and forth a few times.. and apparently we're going in his jetboat. Sweet! Sure beats walking and wading on a river that's like 2-3 times as big as the Bow!!

I'll post back later and let you fine folks know how it goes...

So yeah.. that was pretty awesome!! Was overcast with light showers all afternoon.. pretty cold, only like 3C.

Didn't manage to hook into any fish myself, but Bruce caught a couple. We started in Trail and went up to Genelle and back. Went to fish this one seam and there was a guy already there.. Bruce says "let's go see who this is".. walk up and it's Don Freschi from that Sportfishing on the Fly TV show. So we fished with him for a little while too. He caught 2 I think while we were there.. kind of intimidating fishing a run between a guide and a dude with his own flyfishing show! HA!

All and all it was a good day. Still haven't caught a fish this weekend, but this time of year on the Columbia is pretty tough I'm told! I'm just happy I've gotten out! It's been a few months for me before this weekend.

Sounds like fun,too bad you didn't hook up.

How deep was the water you fished?I've never bin and all the shows you see say its 50-100' deep.Are there spots that would be similar to the Bow?

Definitely spots that are similar to the Bow.. the runs that we fished were comparable for sure. A bit deeper though.. I was running a ~14-15 foot leader with 3 split shot and was still having a hard time ticking the bottom. It would surprise me at all if there are spots that are 50-100 feet deep though.. the Columbia is massive.

So yeah.. that was pretty awesome!! Was overcast with light showers all afternoon.. pretty cold, only like 3C.

Didn't manage to hook into any fish myself, but Bruce caught a couple. We started in Trail and went up to Genelle and back. Went to fish this one seam and there was a guy already there.. Bruce says "let's go see who this is".. walk up and it's Don Freschi from that Sportfishing on the Fly TV show. So we fished with him for a little while too. He caught 2 I think while we were there.. kind of intimidating fishing a run between a guide and a dude with his own flyfishing show! HA!

All and all it was a good day. Still haven't caught a fish this weekend, but this time of year on the Columbia is pretty tough I'm told! I'm just happy I've gotten out! It's been a few months for me before this weekend.

PFFFTT!

You think that's intimidating???

Try fishing with Tungsten sometime; he makes Freschi look like a rookie!

(That oughtta be good for another float with Mike... :angel:smail: )

got a 4 day trip booked for this april in the same area...thanks for the report, sorry ya didn't hook up!

Meh.. I get skunked alot! Just like to get out..

I have to say.. I've been looking at the Hyde Power Drifters alot the last few days...