Fly Fusion Forums

Direction For Beginners

marshall

Hello All!

This is my first post on Fly Fish Calgary after stumbling upon this forum a couple days ago. I can already tell that this is going to be an awesome resource with so many local guys on here!

I realize that my question is very similar to post lamponius has below, however I too am finding I'm putting in my time out on the water with not much luck. Lately I've been heading down to Sandy Beach and having been working the water with everything from Caddis to Copper Johns and various streamers (mostly buggers) between there and the Calgary Golf Club. (I apologize if this is too specific of a location!)

Is that a good beginner place for someone like myself? Are there other places on the Elbow that would work better or even better spots on the Bow?

Finally, even if the waters I have been checking out are good choices, I think that my problem might like with habitat choices. I usually test my luck with streamers and nymphs in some of the deeper pools and then dry flies around the eddies and pools in and at the end of rapid sections.

Any help you guys could provide would be very appreciated! As lamponius mentioned in his post, as this stage a spot where I am going to land some fish would be awesome, then at least I'll know I'm doing a couple things right.

My suggestion is this. The elbow is not known as a great fishery. The bow is a wicked mistress to start on. Do yourself a favor and go fish a cutthroat stream to get your techniques down pat. I suggest reading orvis' guide to fly fishing. Great book and helped me start. I began fishing on the crowsnest river as it is much more forgiving. If you must start on the Bow I would highly recommend Hansons boot camp or signing up for Toolmans/Maxwell's clinic when they hold it. I would also suggest hiring a guide for a walk and wade to teach you some reading water techniques. Keep your confidence up as it helps as well. There a few tricks you need to learn that will make it all come together.

Good luck.

Dave

Yeah...the Elbow is a LOT better above the Res.

Go park at Weaselhead and walk down the path to where there's a small bridge. Fish upstream from there with smaller dries (Elk Hair Caddis, Parachute Adams, or Royal Wulff), size 12-16 and you should do well. I've seen very, very few fish in there over 8", but they are plentiful and will help you get the hang of things.

Having said that, the Bow beats the snot out of the Elbow, and if you spend some time around Southland or Fish Creek Park you're bound to meet up with some of the regulars here. Take the time to watch what the successful guys are doing and you'll pick it up in no time.

The biggest thing for people new to the sport to realize is that 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water.