Fly Fusion Forums

My First Fly

YugoSpice

So I bit the bullet and bought some fly tying tools last night. I tried making a "Chromie" from Phil Rowley's book but didn't like how it turned out. So I took the basic technique and made a chironimid based on the colors that I've seen around my local pothole lakes near Edmonton. I ditched the flashbou and figured the green copper rib (Dollar store for the win!) and metal beadhead would add enough flash, as well as the added white at the butt. Anyways, this is my first attempt at my own fly. To me it looks fairly real. Any suggestions? The only thing I would do different is use less peacock at the head. Other than that I think I should catch fish with this thing. I'll try it out later in the evening. Should be a good feeling catching a fish on something I made myself. But I shouldn't count my chickens before they're hatched :).

Cheers,

-Joe

chironomid_green.jpg

Thanks for the kind words. It really pushes me to do more :). The hook turned out great. I went out to a local lake tonight and on my very fist cast, landed this little rainbow. Second cast, same result. Was a great evening of fishing! I thought I was addicted to fishing before, but now this is a whole new realm! Thanks to everyone on this board for inspiring me. I have been a lurker for a long time (on the old FFA board) following all of you crazy fly tyers.

Cheers,

Joe

salters_rainbow_small.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I have a question about these types of flys im new fly fishing. So how would you fish this fly?

Do a search on this site for an article on chironomid fishing techniques by MissinTheBow. Great info. Other info can be found if you Google Phil Rowley and / or Brian Chan, they have excellent articles on stillwater fishing techniques.

i started buying tying tools today. I still need to get a vice ($$) and a few other things. I can't wait to start tying flies and am even more inspired now having read this post!!

For anyone else I found this really good tutorial for beginners online:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/

let's do it!!