Fly Fusion Forums

Any Masters Of Video Editing Software

Hi, I'll try to shorten this story as much as possible.

Got a buddy, one of his favorite movies is Dead Poets Society. Especially the directors cut - which, is not the special edition (readily available), its the extended edition only ever released on laserdisc. So, he's been feeling blue lately so I went out and got him a copy.

Ok, so I have done about 2/3rds of the work here. Borrowed a laserdisc player, rigged it to a dvd recorder, and was able to transfer it. The disc was an RW, so I finalized the disc, in hopes it would work on any player. It does work on my regular dvd player. So far so good.

Here's where I don't have any expertise. I had to span the recording over 2 discs, to maintain the highest quality. Plus, with laserdisc, as it flips from side A to side B, there is a blank, black screen while it prompts the viewer to wait.

So I would like to know if there is a super easy way to get this recording onto one disc, smooth, uninterrupted play. Got to (1) eliminate the "please wait" transition 1/2 way thru the movie, and then (2) glue the 2nd disc to where the first disc left off, so that it plays exactly like a store bought dvd.

Better yet, I am coming to the FF Expo this weekend; if any guru's out there want to do this, I would leave the discs with you and then (1) give you the alcohol bvg of your choice and (2) give you some cash to ship it back to me. Frankly, I still looking for a job, I would prefer not to dick around with this. I think it would be an easy job for someone who knows what they are doing.

Thanks in Advance,

Mike

did you try a dual layer dvd?

Well, I assume you're addressing the problem of fitting into one disc. That's not my main problem anymore, in term of whats done is done. The dvd recorder I used is very old and only accepts a certain disc, and so I needed to use 2 discs. The laserdisc player has been returned, and so I need to address the main issue, which is the editing part. Even if I had a dual layer, it doesn't solve the black scree thing as you wait for the laserdisc to play side B.

No, I am sure once I get the movie file on my comp, it will easily fit onto a disc. The problem is the editing/formatting to get it to be one continous file.

Mike

[Edit: Noticed the other reply got deleted; too much advice from the 'dark side' perhaps? lol]

I managed to snag a .iso file as a torrent, if we're lucky I can download it, and get it onto a DVD before the expo and give it to you then, if not well then here we are now.

Thanks Dax, although I'm not sure what you just said. I am familiar with bit torrent, are you saying you found a copy of the movie - extended edition (not special edition).

Anyways, appreciate your help!

Smitty

There are free ripping tools to get the movie onto your hard drive; I haven't tried this tool but it sounds like it would work:

http://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper/

There's also plenty others out there:

http://lifehacker.com/380702/five-best-dvd-ripping-tools

Once you have the two movie files (avi, wmv, etc), if you have windows vista or 7 download windows live movie maker (I think XP had a different movie maker), add both the movie files, and let it spit out a combined movie as a file or a DVD.