Fly Fusion Forums

Bootfoot Waders?

I've been keeping an eye on these Orvis waders on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ORVIS-TAILWATERS-XT-BOO...1QQcmdZViewItem

But all they have typically is the bootfoots, and not the stocking foots. At first I kind of decided in my head that I didn't want bootfoots because on cold days when I decided to wear my neoprenes - I wouldn't be able to switch the boots back and forth.

Now I'm thinking, maybe that's okay. I'll be wearing my breathables the majority of the time.. so when I wear my neoprenes I can just use the old hiking boots with the tongues ripped out.

Do you guys have any opinions on bootfoots? Are their any shops in town that carry these particular waders so I can go in and try a pair on?

Nothing wrong with boot foot waders--perhaps not quite as much ankle support for tough hiking. They are WARMER in winter than neo sock foots. Bootfoots with polyprop long underwear or polar fleece pants on a winter's day are just fine for warmth.

That's an "interesting" wader format...wonder if anyone here has tried them. I wonder what the boots are and how they are attached to the wader itself.

Price looks good.

I really like bootfoot waders because they get me into the river before my fishin' buddies!

Seriously, they are my best choice for cold weather fishing, like Clive says. If you have ankle support issues, you can always use the little braces you get at the drug store over your socks.

I certainly wouldn't hesitate to purchase those Orvis waders if the price stays reasonable. I like the idea of a lace up boot foot wader- provides the best of both styles,,,, solid ankle support without getting grit and mud inside your boot as can happen with sock foot / wading boat combinations. As you mention fit would be a concern.....

If you do get them on eBay, ask the seller to ship via USPS (postal) as opposed to Fedex or UPS. The courier services often assess rather exhorbitant brokerage fees to cross the border which they are not alwys upfront with until the parcel arrives at your doorstep. Going the postal route may take longer but I have never been charged more than $5 brokerage plus GST.

"...ship via USPS (postal) as opposed to FedEx or UPS." A loud ditto for pikebreath's comment!! Good point pikebreath. ONLY USPS/Canada Post if coming from the USA. Bloody Fed Ex and UPS will charge up to 20 percent brokerage fees. Criminal bastards.

Side note rant: I live in a small town and UPS or Fed Ex are useless. We are often away and if we miss either they take the package back to Lethbridge (or ???) and may not come back for several days--UPS comes through on Fridays and Tuesdays! Utter nonsense for rip-off high-priced "courier" services. Whereas if an American company ships via USPS it arrives just as fast (or faster) and if we are away I get a notice on my door or mail box and can go down the next day and pick it up at the PO. Not so with either UPS or Fed Ex. A package just from Calgary via Canada Post/Express Post will arrive in 1 to 2 days. Via Fed Ex it is no faster if I am home and if I am away and miss the first call, I can wait one week--just from Calgary! People rag in the PO, but private courier services to small towns is a joke. End of private courier rant. :lol: Feels better. Ahhhhhhhhhh.

Good luck with the waders.

Clive