Fly Fusion Forums

Chernobyl Hybrid

jordo

Well it's only 7 months to June (almost) and I got to thinking about some new attractors to give a go when them stones start a hatching. The Chernobyl ant is one of my favorite patterns and with a few tweaks I'm hoping to enhance it's effectiveness without overly complicating it's design. This is probably not a new idea but I figure a little deer hair wing and hackle could only improve it's trout catching ability. Anyway here's my take on an already excellent pattern.

Here's the recipe;

Hook: TMC 2302 or similar

Thread: 6/0 Dark Brown

Overbody: Light brown and Dark brown foam sheets glued together.

Underbody: Light brown dubbing with brown hackle palmered forward.

Legs: Small Tan-Barred rubber legs (I prefer the smaller diameter as they give the greatest motion in the water).

Wing: Deer or Elk hair.

Indicator: Yellow foam.

chernobyl.jpg

Nice tie,i have done the same thing.One thing i would suggest is not tie the foam at the back to the hook.I bend my hook down a little to keep it away from the foam. I think it helps with more hook ups.

Thanks Tungsten, that makes so much sense, the foam body really does limit the gap and would explain the number of missed or poor hook-ups I had on similar patterns last year. Thanks!!!!

• 1 month later...