Fly Fusion Forums

Streamer Hair

RDevonshire

Ok l hope this worked first time puttin a photo up here. Anyways like the post says whats the best hair for streamers exp, super hair,maraboo,angels hair, all help is very appreciated as you can see l tie perch patterns that work good for pike and walleye as ya can see by the one there. The green one l call the incredible hulk its just a fun pattern. Anyways tight lines ladies and gentleman

robspics004-1.jpg

Ok l hope this worked first time puttin a photo up here. Anyways like the post says whats the best hair for streamers exp, super hair,maraboo,angels hair, all help is very appreciated as you can see l tie perch patterns that work good for pike and walleye as ya can see by the one there. The green one l call the incredible hulk its just a fun pattern. Anyways tight lines ladies and gentleman

robspics004-1.jpg

you could try using icelandic sheep hair. I'm not an expert on pike flies by any means, but the few I tied up with this stuff seemed to hold up fairly good. As well it seems to cast good when its wet.

b.t.w. nice tye, how long are you tying those?

If you are tying flies for Northerns I would tie flies with synthetics for durability eg: Iceabou, Ice fur, polar chenille, craft fur . .Plastics that don't absorb as much water as animal hairs. which makes casting a little easier. But if you dont care about durability and want your flies to have more movement in the water then stick with Rabbit, fox, coyote,sheep, Bucktail, Polar bear. Just my thoughts.

My suggestion would be to use Arctic fox in the tail. It'll keep most of the action of the marabou, but will stand-up much better against teeth. For the wing, icelandic sheep or even Yak hair is a good material. I would lean towards the sheep hair as the Yak can be slippery and pull out if it isn't secured really well. Superfly has a new hair called SuperFiber that would work well on this pattern as well. What ever you use, just add a couple strands of pearl flash over top and in the wing.

for pike flies i like yak hair the best.. its durable.. dosnt absorb water and come in a long length making it easy too tie large flies without much effort!!!! polarbear would be my second choice!

a good perch tied in a stacked clouser style would be

thin green

thick olive

thick yellow

thin orange

use the sharpy too give it the marks and your laughin!

sorry no pic but she is a pretty easy tie and damn near bulletproof with the yak!

dna is also a good choice for material... hold marker pretty good

• 2 weeks later...
Guest phartknocker

Polar Bear. Tie it in with gel spun thread & epoxy and your fly is bullet proof.

Yak as Maxwell mentioned, and Icelandic sheep are also both excellent choices.

So is getting in a float plane :dropphish:

David Blair at Fish Tales knows all about it. Dave at Southbow is also a die hard pike angler.

Cheers