Fly Fusion Forums

New Star Trek Movie

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

I thought the new movie was good but was surprised that the invented a whole new time line. No Enterprise..no Voyager...no Deep Space Nine.

Still good acting...good plot.

The guy that played McCoy was perfect, the new Spock was pretty good, but the new Chekhov was damn annoying. The rest were meh, though Uhura is hot. Wasn't impressed by the story (wow, time travel in a Star Trek story - how inspired) or anything else about it really. And I'm not a big Star Trek fan, so it isn't like I'm some geek who's upset by the changes they made.

Guest Sundancefisher
The guy that played McCoy was perfect, the new Spock was pretty good, but the new Chekhov was damn annoying. The rest were meh, though Uhura is hot. Wasn't impressed by the story (wow, time travel in a Star Trek story - how inspired) or anything else about it really. And I'm not a big Star Trek fan, so it isn't like I'm some geek who's upset by the changes they made.

LOL Uhura pinning down Spock...the teenage hormone plot line.

Chekhov was annoying. the voice was too over the top. Sulu was good.

Overall I rated the story and everything quite highly. I would actually be looking forward to seeing the next one in the theatre...

Liked the movie, though the plot was totally secondary. The point was to introduce you to the new characters, and set things up so they can do what they want.

My 12 yr old daughter LOVED it. We have since rented most of the old movies (can't find a few of the original movies, and 1 of the next gen movies) and watched them together. She watches the old series and new ones. Finally, I got my science fiction geek. That and vampires.

I watched it on the plane home from Europe last month and didn't catch anything about an alternate timeline/reality (although I had already heard that). Did they actually explain IN the movie that it was an alternate timeline? Or was that just stated by the producers or whoever..?

Guest Sundancefisher
I watched it on the plane home from Europe last month and didn't catch anything about an alternate timeline/reality (although I had already heard that). Did they actually explain IN the movie that it was an alternate timeline? Or was that just stated by the producers or whoever..?

warning... spoiler...

Vulcan was blown up...

only 10,000 Vulcans left alive in the Universe

Never happened in the original time line.

Vulcan was always a major player in the future...

Therego...new time line.

Guest Sundancefisher
It varies. I saw Blade Runner in the theatre when it first came out, so I would've been 10 at the time. Still one of my favourite movies.

My 8, 10 and 12 year old kids loved Woody Harrelson in Natural Born Killers

Many questions remain unanswered

Are Tribbles still Trouble?

Is Capt. Pike going to ever go to the Butthead planet and meet that old woman except the Buttheads will make him think she is young and hot so they can have mental, uhh, relations?

Are the Klingons going to look like the original series Klingons or the Next Generation Klingons? I would go with Next Gen if it was me.

Guest Sundancefisher
Many questions remain unanswered

Are Tribbles still Trouble?

Is Capt. Pike going to ever go to the Butthead planet and meet that old woman except the Buttheads will make him think she is young and hot so they can have mental, uhh, relations?

Are the Klingons going to look like the original series Klingons or the Next Generation Klingons? I would go with Next Gen if it was me.

...and will senior officers half to walk around with their chests sticking forward abnormally far...and I am referring to Riker...not Troi!

the trek franchise had become very tired, dull and pedestrian.

was in desperate need of a reboot, and taking a cue from the battlestar galactica 're-imagining' was a wise move. they really needed to return to the character-driven basics as the typical storylines/bad guys/federation is so wesley crusher.

the last series enterprise had a dog on the show???

even t'pol the superhawt vulcan couldn't save that mess.

i think abrahms did a good job, even my kids liked it and they don't dig on sci fi.

post-1222-1259509912.jpg

Guest Sundancefisher
one of the best things on tv in recent years period.

It was good because it was fresh and new and just a little wrong each episode to make you wonder what is around the corner next.

It too can become lame I think. Contant weird stuff happening just becomes a high tech soap opera. There has to be some believability in shows to really hold someones attention. What I mean is just enough known truth combined with imagination to say...hey...this could one day happen.