Fly Fusion Forums

The 'dreaded Asian Carp'....

Wolfie

something to read...will it come out west?

.. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/techno...article1371407/

......................Wolfie

been in the news for years and years, as much as i can remember there is a high electric current stoping them from getting into the great lakes and thus canada so lets hope that stays working. Beyond that i also think there are some ponds in Alberta that actually have them but the are there to keep them clean and are 100% infertile. Could be wrong thou

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i have friends in BC that had a carp problem so they drained the lake down to mud and a trickle, then refilled the lake and stocked it with gerrards. The carp had already killed off the other fish by eating ALL the plant matter in the lake and effectively wiping out the bug population.

The lake now has huge mats of veg that rip off the bottom when the nitrogen raises the buoyancy. It makes the lake different every time but its eerie to swim in

been in the news for years and years, as much as i can remember there is a high electric current stoping them from getting into the great lakes and thus canada so lets hope that stays working. Beyond that i also think there are some ponds in Alberta that actually have them but the are there to keep them clean and are 100% infertile. Could be wrong thou

But the latest news is that some scientists? found some DNA north of the electric border. They think they may have gotten through somehow.

Guest Sundancefisher

You are referring to grass carp stocked infertile to eat weeds in golf course ponds etc. These asian carp are way different.

It has been a problem now for a long time. Look up bow hunting asian carp for some interesting shots on youtube.

Guest Sundancefisher
Last night I dumbed a few dozen in Lake Sundance :ph34r:<--poke--<

Short term pain for long term gain. They can't reproduce in the lake but will eat the perch out of house and home... Plus we can bow hunt for them now.

Just need some snakeheads now...and some zebra muscles...

Yahoo!