Fly Fusion Forums

Big Bulls

Carlodabroads

So I found this truly big Bull trout on the weekend. I did my usual and put on my favourite big minnow like streamer. 3rd cast I hooked him, and after 3 big head shakes showing me a big flash of red gills, the hook sadly came out and it was over. Arghhh. I realized that firstly the hook was sharp but not razor sharp and secondly that I probably should have set the hook a bit harder? Do bulls have abnormaly hard mouths or is it the hook size that necessitates a harder hookset to get good connection?

Also, once stung, the big brute just pressed down on the bottom of the run and would not even give me the time of day. I put every remaining streamer, wooly bugger, giant stone, everything past him, right in front of his nose, even rested him for over 30 mins. Any tips on how to get these guys interested again after they may have felt a hook and escaped?

Oh yeah, it was in BC and there is a Single Barbless, that means no doubling up with two strreamers to create the chase impression.

Guest bigbadbrent

While aggresive, bull's arent completely brainless. They'll turn off like most other trout after being stuck, and even though 3 head shakes doesn't sound like much, its enough to hurt, and to turn its feeding off, or it may have seen you, which would turn most fish off..

Bull trout have incredibly hard mouths, so set your hooks pro bass style, and sharpen sharpen sharpen!!