Fly Fusion Forums

Wabamun Report For Oct 30 And Nov 1

SNAPFisher

Took Friday off to fish Wab. The weather turned out just so-so but the fishing was worth it. Had one on my first cast with the ole 8 wt. I say "ole" but it is actually my 2nd 8 wt this year. Broke my first one back in May....along with 4 others....its been an expensive year.

Anyways, managed to land 21 in about 5 hours. Some slow times later in the day but generally pretty consistent thoughout the day. The biggest was about 11 lbs.

Headed back on Sunday. The wind was, of course, very annoying but none of us were cold. The sun was a big help. The fish though were very lethargic. Only the slowest and deepest presentation seemed to get them on.

Best part of the day was mid-day. Anchored off a big weed bed next to the channel. Managed these two amazing specimens back to back on the 8 wt:

Very plump 16 lber. Fight was amazing.

Wab1101004.jpg

After a bit of the adrenaline subsided I casted a couple of more times. The 2nd time I managed the same cast again and hooked up again. Didn't seem like much at first until the pike figured it out. I haven't heard sounds from a reel like that ...that I can remember. What an intense fight for the next 10 minutes. I didn’t think it was bigger than the fatty I just landed. Finally got a look at it and saw that this one was not as fat but much longer. Landed the beast and it turned out to be a new personal best by .5 lbs at 18.5 lbs.

Wab1101006.jpg

A great couple of days out there. I hope to sneak in another trip soon.

Cheers!