Fly Fusion Forums

Russell Sporting Goods Is Closing Down.

Rick

Sorry to say my friend who works at Russells told me they are shutting down the store on Dec. 28th. Everything they sell at Wholesale Sports will be moved and the rest of the inventory is already marked down 25%. I will miss my visits to Russells. Rick.

Sorry to say my friend who works at Russells told me they are shutting down the store on Dec. 28th. Everything they sell at Wholesale Sports will be moved and the rest of the inventory is already marked down 25%. I will miss my visits to Russells. Rick.

moved where to...is there another store the contents are going to?...........and does that include the hunting ware as well.....Wolfie

Russells has been owned by Wholesale Sports for a number of years so everything Wholesale sports sells now will be moved to their store. Everything else, including hunting goods, is on sale. UFA bought Wholesale sports a year or two ago which is a huge stretch from their core business. Lots of good deals to be had if your looking but still I wish Russells was remaining open. Rick.

Russells has been owned by Wholesale Sports for a number of years so everything Wholesale sports sells now will be moved to their store. Everything else, including hunting goods, is on sale. UFA bought Wholesale sports a year or two ago which is a huge stretch from their core business. Lots of good deals to be had if your looking but still I wish Russells was remaining open. Rick.

I don't know ur friend in this store , however, my Lady was in there yesterday inquiring for some fly tying material for me and whoever served her 'forgot' to mention that the store was closing and that there was a 25% off all goods...you would think it would be in their best interest to instruct their staff in informing the public in whatever section they may be in, that way I didn't need to read about it in this forum...............Wolfie

I don't know ur friend in this store , however, my Lady was in there yesterday inquiring for some fly tying material for me and whoever served her 'forgot' to mention that the store was closing and that there was a 25% off all goods...you would think it would be in their best interest to instruct their staff in informing the public in whatever section they may be in, that way I didn't need to read about it in this forum...............Wolfie

There is a sign up about the 25% discount.

Guest Sundancefisher

generic question for someone who has been to the store...

Do they have a pile of good quality, ultra sensitive ice fishing rods?

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

is the SE marked just saturated with sporting goods stores or is this a close down from head office to put more customers into 1 store instead of 2?

Guest Sundancefisher
is the SE marked just saturated with sporting goods stores or is this a close down from head office to put more customers into 1 store instead of 2?

I also thought Russell's would be closed sooner than later due to the relatively close proximity to the Wholesale Sports store.

From a hardware perspective...competition would be mostly Canadian Tire, followed a ways by Walmart. Some flyfishing stores like Fish Tales and Country Pleasures would cater to a different clientelle.

I visited the Fishin hole store a few weeks back. It is quite smaller than I pictured it would be.

Not all goods are on sale. Items are stickered. I would only say about 10% of stock is reduced. Still worth a look, 25% is 25%

When I was in there a few days ago, I seem to recall about 20 signs throughout the store indicating such+ the ones outside the store. <--poke--<

When I was in there a few days ago, I seem to recall about 20 signs throughout the store indicating such+ the ones outside the store. <--poke--<

Well I had asked and my Lady said she didn't see any...we were there yesterday again..and yes we saw signs...

..But..please explain to me something, for I'm not knowledgeable to the laws in Alberta, which I've noticed to be different then the rest of Canada...

..I saw red stickers on products which from what I read on signs were to be 25% off stickers...that is all well and good..however..do these ppl think that everyone carries with them a calculator to figure out what as an example would be 25% of say $3.49 is then subtract it from the total...why did they NOT put the final price on those red stickers, cause as far as I'm concern, those prices could have been jacked up before putting the red sticker on it...........thought there was a 'federal' law which each province has to follow by displaying the final price if that product is on sale....hmm..I might be wrong but then again........................Wolfie

Guest rickleblanc

Jeez, Wolfie, I think I may have met you in the store before. <--poke--<

Seriously, when I started in retail, I thought everything needed to have a UPC/barcode, but apparently not.

We almost never put the final price. Think of it this way; I close the store the night before a sale, mark all the discounts before I go home, and when the sale is over, all I have to do is remove the markdown signs. Saves hours.

Rick

They are only marking down the items that Wholesale does not carry, IE buck knive bought nice skinning knife on friday, and its 25% off the sticker price on there. They have LOTS of rifles on sale no shotguns unless your left handed. I did not look at fishing gear cause my wife will kill me. One thing i will miss is AMMO out in the open, and short lines at the gun counter, i think ill have a hard time waiting in line at Wholesale may have to go to Bass pro or hit up on the for the stores in red deer when im up for work. It will be missed.

Beeing in a big box store this is how things work here with sales items.

Most of the time when a item is going on sale it is because of two big reasons.

1) The manufacter gave the buyers a discounted price for buying qty which allows us to sell at a cheep price. These items are always marked with a final price as they are a instant savings.

2) Going on disco, when this happens the prices are constantly changing and to put a final price on it does not make any sence as by week to week prices can change.

What is uaslly marked is %25 off last posted price, by the way our head office is based out of toronto and this goes for all 300+ store across canada, so this practice is not just done in Alberta.