Fly Fusion Forums

Skeena Amp Update

Received this today:

Hello everyone,

The Recommendations of the Working Groups for the Skeena Quality Waters Strategy Angling Management Plans are now posted and downloadable on the website at:

www.env.gov.bc.ca/skeena/qws/

The Ministry of Environment is expected to meet with the Working Groups and respond to the recommendations by mid-November 2009. You will receive an email notice when the ministry response has been posted on the website.

Thank you for your continued interest in this process.

Alan

Alan Dolan BSc, MSc

Senior Facilitator, Skeena Quality Waters Strategy

Alan Dolan & Associates

250-478-8056

adolan@islandnet.com

Only skimmed it so far and it isn't looking too good. Wonder how much money they've blown on this whole thing so far.

wow. they already rape you bad for the license fees, and this basically says were gonna shove it up your a$$ .... AND... you can't fish on saturdays. Well if this goes through I dont give a rats azz how good the fishing is. Oregon / washington's starting to sound pretty good.

Still got a ways to go before it becomes the law of the land and there

was the odd recommendation that would be good for Skeena. Was

a little disappointed that the rest of Canada is as non resident as

all other countries. Overall though it would be pretty hard for provincial

officials to not see the self serving direction the majority of the

recommendations are taking ...where is a Bob Hooten type in the final

decesion making group when you need one?

Biatch all you want on a BB......Does you no good.......Send in e-mails to MOE and Ministry of Tourism Culture and the arts....squeaky wheel gets the grease. env.minister@gov.bc.ca TCA.Minister@gov.bc.ca

and yes wtforward I agree NRA's and NRC's should be seperated in the hierarchy....that (being the hierarchy) is skewed to all F@#$!!! as they see a guided NRA that has a high chance of being guided by a fellow NRA higher up on the hierarchy list than a NRC...which is absolutely a slap in the face....again back to point send in letters to the people who are going to legislate this.

Truly unbelievable!! everyone send nasty emails. Do you think there is any way to get the alberta government informed and involved.

Crazy Proposals:

Working Group members noted that a limited-day licence on its own was not included

specifically in the draft Angling Management Plan so the Phase II Consultation Report

has limited information on public and stakeholder acceptability of this approach.

However, there was some interest in this element expressed at stakeholder meetings

and in other input to the fall 2008 consultation process.

So all the public meetings and and open houses are rendered useless because you are now trying to implement something totally different ?

Quality Waters Strategy – Hierarchy of exclusion

The Quality Waters Strategy (MOE 2005) states: “Where angling opportunities

become oversubscribed, decisions regarding angling opportunities will reflect the

priority and interests of British Columbian resident anglers.” The strategy also states

that “The recommended hierarchy of diversion/exclusion is as follows:

1. Non Guided Non Canadian

2. Non Guided Non BC

3. Guided Non Canadian

4. Guided Non BC

5. BC Anglers, guided and non-guided”

What this means is that if the quality of angling on a particular river is poor due to

crowding or other issues, the first groups regulated are the non-residents (1 and 2),

the second groups regulated are the guided anglers (3 and 4), and the last group

regulated is the resident anglers. This is often referred to as the Quality Waters

Strategy hierarchy of exclusion.

this is crazy, you are to say a NON CANADIAN who has money to pay more can buy more rights to fish than I whom am canadian (non bc). why do guided anglers have more rights than another canadian (non bc).

the above goes to show who is really driving the boat here "THE GUIDE OUTFITS". bunch of bullshit

It kills me that there are 200 plus people that have viewed this thread and only 7 responses. In the photos section any threads regarding steelhead had way more views and also way more responses. most of the responses were : I love that place, wicked pics,cant wait to go back, maybe one day. Well!!!!

Maybe one day you might not have that pleasure!! Please read it and send emails to the B.C govt. Rightyeegs is right the squeaky wheel does get the grease.

env.minister@gov.bc.ca , TCA.Minister@gov.bc.ca , adolan@islandnet.com , Paddy.Hirshfield@gov.bc.ca

PLEASE SEND EMAILS

anyone have any connections local news papers,tv reporters maybe that might help some. most people couldnt care about fishing but it is beyond that! ITS ABOUT BEING A CANADIAN, YET BEING TREATED LIKE AN ALIEN (american, european, etc). WE ALREADY FUND THE MANAGEMENT OF THESE THRU FEDERAL TAXES.

Thanks in advance.

PKK

yall got it pkk n rightyeegs i think most people dont really knwo what too say.. i write in smal pieces on how i feel mostly what u highlighted in bold above! what we need is mass majority of people sending in the same/similar thing really.. simple as that!

more findings:

this is off the B.C fishing synopsis:

SALMON MANAGEMENT IN FRESH WATER

SALMON REGULATIONS IN FRESH WATER

The management of salmon fisheries in B.C., in both tidal and fresh waters, is the

responsibility of Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO).

This tells me that it is federal dollars that go to manage these fish. CANADIAN TAX DOLLARS. I cant believe my money (i am from ALBERTA) is helping fund this whole SKEENA AMP. there will be more restrictions put on NON BC CANADIAN RESIDENTS than a non canadian who is willing to pay for a guide. and all of that money does nothing for the fishery only into the guides pockets. and most of the steelhead lodges in that area are partially owned or funded by NON CANADIANS (americans).

This is way beyond fishing. ITS ABOUT BEING TREATED LIKE A CANADIAN!!!!

LOVE TO HEAR BACK FROM ANY ONE OF YOU THAT I HAVE EMAILED!!!!!

Peter Kirkegaard

It kills me that there are 200 plus people that have viewed this thread and only 7 responses. In the photos section any threads regarding steelhead had way more views and also way more responses. most of the responses were : I love that place, wicked pics,cant wait to go back, maybe one day. Well!!!!

Maybe one day you might not have that pleasure!! Please read it and send emails to the B.C govt. Rightyeegs is right the squeaky wheel does get the grease.

env.minister@gov.bc.ca , TCA.Minister@gov.bc.ca , adolan@islandnet.com , Paddy.Hirshfield@gov.bc.ca

PLEASE SEND EMAILS

anyone have any connections local news papers,tv reporters maybe that might help some. most people couldnt care about fishing but it is beyond that! ITS ABOUT BEING A CANADIAN, YET BEING TREATED LIKE AN ALIEN (american, european, etc). WE ALREADY FUND THE MANAGEMENT OF THESE THRU FEDERAL TAXES.

Thanks in advance.

PKK

COME ON EVERYONE THIS WHERE A FORUM LIKE THIS COULD TRUELY MAKE A DIFFERENCE. POWER BY NUMBERS. ITS AMAZING HOW MANY PEOPLE RESPOND TO STUPID POSTS YET WHEN THERE IS SOMETHING REALLY IMPORTANT WRT FISHING NOBODY GIVES A *hit. IS IT TO DIFFICULT TO READ? JUST GOES TO SHOW HOW MANY LAME ASSES THERE REALLY ARE ON THIS BOARD !!!!!

PKK

and all of that money does nothing for the fishery only into the guides pockets.

And that's another big point - this plan has nothing to do with protecting the fishery. If you think it's about the fish in any way you're deluding yourself.

Since this is also an issue about a federally funded fishery, here's the DFO minister's email address:

Gail Shea - Shea.G@parl.gc.ca

Wouldn't hurt to write to your own MP either. To find your MP's email address go to this page and enter your postal code:

http://www2.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/Compilatio...e.aspx?Menu=HOC

peter

i hear you and i'm totally on board , been writeing and making phone calls , whats funny is alot of locals don't want this to happen , i swear if i owned a big company and this bullshit passed with making it all NRA , even if from canada ,and couldn't fish without one of them guides ,

in my company there was people from B.C working , i'd find a way to let them all go ,might take awhile but i'd find a way , and send them all packing back to B.C ,

the whole sad thing story is thats it's not about the fish , or the crowding , it's as everything these days ''the MONEY''

Maybe if we challenge people to come up with a logo for it that'll generate more interest. (note the bitter sarcasm)

the whole sad thing story is thats it's not about the fish , or the crowding , it's as everything these days ''the MONEY''

I wonder where I heard this before.....oh ya....the SEK. But too many people, on this board, agree with the SEK with their myopic view of it being for the fishing experience. No harm. Everyone can afford it. I doesn't affect me. The money is going to a good cause? etc.

Now BC special interest groups have learned from the experience. Some people will bitch and moan. Write letters. Threaten legal action. Boycott. Be ridiculed. But give it a year or two and they will be opening their wallets. The lucky few anyway. As long as they can afford to pay as much as all the rich people from other parts of the world. Whatever the market will bear (I wonder how many of you enraged steelheaders have forked over to fish the SEK.)

You wonder why there isn't more indignation. Where are the crowds of people carrying torches and pitchforks? I'll tell you why I'm not carrying one. I feel beaten. It causes tension between me and some of my fellow Albertan anglers if I voice my principled stand. But I'm not dead. I will continue to boycott because the only damage we can inflict is economic damage. The fact my drop of damage is immediately replaced by gallons of $ support from fellow Albertans is discouraging but I have to continue to fight the good fight. I will send my emails and butt heads with those who think this AMP is just. I do it for my childrens' children.

A couple of closing thoughts:

I told you so. Believe me, the Skeena is not the end of it.

and

If you have *ever* paid to fish the SEK, then you are partly to blame for what you are seeing unfold before you.

As Dr. Phil says "they do it because it works".