Fly Fusion Forums

Fire Ban? What Fire Ban? Waiporous Aug 5

With my usual camping spot (Racehorse Creek) closed I went up to Waiporous for a night to stay with a few friends, random camping in their RV. We did a bit of fishing and I really enjoyed the river. Some nice pools and scenery. The fish were small but I did hook in to a "huge" 12" cutt.

When it got dark we sat around a heater and did the usual. We looked over to our neighbours 100 meters away and saw they had a fire. We were going to call 310-FIRE and report it. But decided instead just to tell them to put it out. They did. It was an adult with a bunch of kids. Not a great way to bring up kids to disregard important regulations. They were putting the forest at great risk not too mention us. On a walk along the river I noticed another neighbor had a fire going as well. He also put it out.

It kinda freaks me out knowing that there are still a lot of campers having fires and ignoring the fireban

Did anyone see me on Global Newshour talking about the quiet weekend at a usually crazy Waiporous. The reporter also noticed the neighbors firepit and he mentioned it in his newscast.

"Film at 11"!!

WTG Mr. B....there's no way those guys couldn't know there wasn't a fire ban, so shame on them.

Heard on the radio this morning that the bans and closures worked as they only had a couple of small fires to contend with that were easily extinguished.

MrB and Lynn:

Nice work telling the folks. Good thing they were cooperative. Just amazes me just how !#$%! stoopid people are--and their lack of respect for the land and forests. People just don't get the "outdoors" and how fragile it can be. (We saw one "cigarette" roadside fire on Friday near Pincher and I talked to a guy yesterday who did a long road trip yesterday and saw six--count 'em, six--roadside fires ... probably from cigarettes.)

Several years ago we were camped at Dutch during a fire ban. We happened to be camped within view of the firewood pile--back when it was free. A truck pulls up with two adults and two or three teen gals--we'd not seen their truck in camp before--and the cg was all but empty. They load up their truck with firewood and leave. Moments after they pulled away, a F&W officer pulls up with another "forestry" vehicle and at that very moment the folks who scarfed the firewood drive up the logging road on the N side of the cg. So we told the F&W officer that

1) they'd just stolen firewood and

2) reminded the officer there was fire ban on.

She gives hot pursuit and 20 minutes later the perps return and unload the contra firewood.

The outcome? SFA!! The officer did not charge them with anything. Charging them with the firewood "theft" required going to court and she said at that time the fine was $50 at most and it all was not worth it. She also said that the perps were embarrassed, apologetic and cooperative, versus antagonistic. Unfortunately she could not risk waiting until they started an actual campfire and charge them with that -- during the ban. (Had a real fire started as a result, she'd have been in doo as she was aware they were going to start a fire.)

A few people are just idiots nd make life miserable for the majority of sensible folks.