Fly Fusion Forums

Tv Stations Vs Cable Providers

Well, as long as we are getting out our soapboxes...

So what say you about this massive PR war going on? Local tv stations say they're going to go out of business without this $10 surcharge they're lobbying the CRTC to impose on the cable providers. They say that we already pay the cable companies like Shaw for them, but they pocket the money. They also claim the cable companies are profiting in the billions of $ and can afford to pay this fee, without passing it on to the consumer.

The cable companies naturally claim the opposite, and that they will be forced to hike you monthly cable bill by $5 to $10 a month.

Who's right? Bottom line for me is that I already pay enough money, and with little competition, Canadians generally already pay too much for this service. Take cell phones for instance. It has been well acknowledged that comparable monthly plans in the States are about 30% to 40% cheaper, because people can shop around.

Not so much in Canada; I mean really, who are our choices for cable/sattelite; Shaw, Telus, Bell? Not alot by my count.

Part of me wants to tell these jokers to figure it out, keep our local stations, and lower our monthly cable bill.

One thing is for sure, they're spending a lot of our money in this PR spat.

Smitty

This is a mess eh........

Reports are that some of the millions CRTC collects from cable companies is to go for local television. Somewhere along the way its not enough. In both accounts the local television and cable companies can't say anything bad about crtc so they are sutck in a war with a middle man that is horrible. CRTC is the blame for this also they are the blam for the crappy movies on TV. They tell each provider every month which show and which movies are allowed to be on.....that's crap.

If this comes to bear fruit and cable companies get charges a little more from CRTC then no doubt we will get it as they think they have been giving CRTC plenty over the years. But now its direct extra payment so then they should have a say on which stations to pay for as far as local stations go. Or worst case they make there own local stations for each area and keep it in house ( Smartest for them). If I were in Shaw,bell, Rogers shoes..... my thought would be been if I'm paying more you better give me some television for my viewers or I won't pick up your channel.

Just my thoughts

Reports are that some of the millions CRTC collects from cable companies is to go for local television.

I was listening to qr77 and a representative said that fund is for producing canadian content (ie: Corner Gas, etc.) and it doesn't go to local stations. Stations are told, by the CRTC, to air Canadian Content (which is why they exist). He said local stations don't get any money from the CRTC.

All I know if that I want local stations and I don't want to pay extra for something I'm already watching.