Fly Fusion Forums

Anyone Know How To Tie This....?

alhuger

All,

This summer I got handed the fly in these pictures. It's a commercial fly, but it works really well and I'd like to tie some up. I am just not totally sure how to, or what it is made from. Here is what I *think* it's made from:

1. A 1/4 of a streamer shank (with the eye) with a tungsten cone

2. 80 lb Firewire looped through the eye and then doubled down a stinger tied in at the bottom.

3. Two posts of white marabou, top and middle.

4. Chartreuse sparkle dubbing for the body.

All of that seems more or less straight forward. My question, anyone know how to tie this in a fashion that is not seriously awkward? Any tricks? I am gathering that I need two vices. I think I will put an 0 ring in instead of tying the hook right in. Might even be good on the bow somewhat smaller as a leach.

As always, any advice, outside links etc. will be appreciated.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

This is how i do it,stinger hook in vise ty on your mono or what ever, run it over to another type of vise anything that will hold it tight maybe 10" away.Then you can start a dubbing loop with wire,rap the wire around your mono or whatever till you have it long enough.Then cut it off and tie it down to your front hook.Make a few before you go to step two.Don't no if this is the right way but its how i make my short strike leech's and streamers.

Edit: i read your post again i see you already no about the two vise thing.

This is how i do it,stinger hook in vise ty on your mono or what ever, run it over to another type of vise anything that will hold it tight maybe 10" away.Then you can start a dubbing loop with wire,rap the wire around your mono or whatever till you have it long enough.Then cut it off and tie it down to your front hook.Make a few before you go to step two.Don't no if this is the right way but its how i make my short strike leech's and streamers.

Edit: i read your post again i see you already no about the two vise thing.

Ok, cool, so you're dubbing onto the wire and then wrapping the wire around the mono? Just to make sure I understand.

sweet dude that isnt the fly i imagined while talking too you on the phone! i gotta show u the string leech i have ! totally different.. another way too tye that would be too use the pin in a tubefly kit! then slide th sucker off!!! will shoot u a text tomorow.. see if we can hook up for a **** chat!!!! i think i got that pattern licked! in my brain anyway!

Here are a couple of step by steps from Canadiantubeflies.com in pdf format that will get your fly tied for you once you have the color and so on decided on.

The second one is the way I would do it. This tie results in a great intruder fly. Your fly would be even more straightforward than these examples I think.

http://www.canadiantubeflies.com/files/wiggle1.pdf

http://www.canadiantubeflies.com/files/Russian_Intruder.pdf

Here are a couple of step by steps from Canadiantubeflies.com in pdf format that will get your fly tied for you once you have the color and so on decided on.

The second one is the way I would do it. This tie results in a great intruder fly. Your fly would be even more straightforward than these examples I think.

http://www.canadiantubeflies.com/files/wiggle1.pdf

http://www.canadiantubeflies.com/files/Russian_Intruder.pdf

Wonderful, thanks a bunch everyone.

Yeah, using fine wire for the loop would make a big difference. You'd want to go with as small a diameter pin as you could too.

Tied a few using the methods Nebc and Max posted as well as a pattern sent to me by Brent. They all look good.