Fly Fusion Forums

Sage Txl 000 Wt

Hey all, been thinking about maybe picking up a Sage TXL 000 wt over the winter. I was wondering if anyone on here has used any of the very light rods in this series and tell me what they were like to fish with. Obviously these rods are made for ultra light dry fly presentations, one review I saw said they could use up to about a size 14 with the rod, what have you used for it? Also, if there's anything else you could say about it - how it casts, etc. that would be great! Thanks

well when you read many post on here how guyys don't want to handle a fish, proper net (size), dont fish when the water is warm, no fishing during the spawn, etc, etc, etc.

I would think that if you happen to tie into some bigger fish with a 000 wt rod you will have to play the *hit outa them and this is just one more way to kill a fish, maybe?

I have a little 3wt for creeks and i could not imagine a lighter rod?

also think of the wind, a max 14 fly they say? with a 000wt and any wind would mess with ya.

well when you read many post on here how guyys don't want to handle a fish, proper net (size), dont fish when the water is warm, no fishing during the spawn, etc, etc, etc.

I would think that if you happen to tie into some bigger fish with a 000 wt rod you will have to play the *hit outa them and this is just one more way to kill a fish, maybe?

I have a little 3wt for creeks and i could not imagine a lighter rod?

also think of the wind, a max 14 fly they say? with a 000wt and any wind would mess with ya.

Thanks for the response, and I appreciate your concern. While it may seem that light weight rods would result in playing fish for a very long time, when they are used correctly they can be very effective at fighting fish, and sometimes even get fish in quicker as you can put on more pressure when using light tippets. I've read other reviews of the rod that talk about it being very good at bringing fish in as well.

My smallest rod is a 2/3wt...it's the most fun I've ever had with a fly rod (well top 3 anyway...)

I have caught a few fish on Frenchmans that I coulda/shoulda used a heaver weight rod for but I don't think I over- fished any fish....for me the fun is in the take....all the rest is just gittin him in and gittin him off (insert joke here) as fast/safe (and sometimes pose for a picture) as possible.

A zero weight rod might be too small for stuff I've seen here in AB. I would think a 1 or 2 would be as small as I would want to go (and then pick your streams). Anything less and its just you and the cork handle fighting the fish.

i think it could be great for a lo them cutty streams n brookie streams were a 10 incher is a beast.... it has too be able too fish flies larger than 14's i got a 2wt that can fish hopper dropper rigs no problemo! cant see how a 0 would be much lighter.. but i havnt held this rod before so i could be wrong...

A common misconception, and so is the #14 fly limitation.

I've had a 000 for a few years and it's my favourite rod. While it enables you to feel the fight from a smaller fish it is absolutely untrue that you cannot fight bigger fish with it without exhausing them. You have to keep the rod tip lower and fight the fish from the lower portion of the rod. I've landed 19 inch cutties in the same time it would have taken me to land them with a 5-wt.

While I'm not chucking pike flies with it, I have no problem throwing small streamers, weighted nymphs and larger dries. I don't use a 000 line, I much prefer the action of the rod when I pair it with a 1-wt line. It casts much further too. Don't get me wrong, this is not a 1-wt rod. I just prefer the feel when it casts a 1-wt line. Sage has always manufactured rods which can cast a number of line weights well.

This is "the Sage noodle"? I think Troutfitters had one in, it may still be there. I gave er a wiggle; it seemed like it would be a lot of fun on smaller trout. I also agree with the comment that bigger fish can be effectively and safely landed with lighter gear. I landed a fair sized Atlantic on the Sage 5 weight switch rod the other day, this is an 11 foot long rod. Only took a few minutes to get him in and it was a ton of fun. However, at the same time I think you got to be smart about it and not target big fish with light gear.

I own and regularly fish two rods in this series, the TXL 3710-3 and the TXL 4710-3. They are medium-flex, medium action rods with great feel and work nicely in your hand to deliver both finesse presentations and to kick out smallish bulky dry flies with equal capability. They each have great recovery, I prefer the 3wt's action in tight situations. I use RIO Selective Trout lines on both, #3 on the 3wt and #4 on the 4wt, cut them both back about 12"-14" to load the rods a little more quickly in the close quarters they are usually fished and also to allow the use of small streamers and clousers on long leaders. Double taper lines in the corresponding line sizes are very sweet if you like traditional style fishing with a relaxed casting stroke. The TXL 3710-3 is best with flies #10-#22, the 4710-3 best with #8-#20, although both are forgiving when you tie on the bushy dries. A lot of my small-stream partners prefer super-fast short, lightweight rods but I prefer these as all-around, versatile rods for techy small water and shorter casts on larger water. I can't speak to the "zero" sizes in this series, but these two models both have plenty enough backbone necessary to land large trout in tough situations. Try one, I think you will enjoy it.

I use a 7' 1wt for alot of the small streams and love it...matched up with the right line its hard to put down and fish with another rod.The largest fish i landed with it was an 18" rainbow....the rod was in full flex but no problem to land.I find after you fish the lightweight stuff you will start to switch over.My new bow river rod next year will be a 9' 4wt XP,but still a 1 or 2 for the small streams.

I also use a TXL. I have the 2710 This year I have landed many fish on the little stick I have fished it in some lakes contianing big rainbows. I caught my biggest lake fish of the year on it, roughly 7lbs. I feel I have had an easier time landing big fish as the rod really does work for you.

And now I have contributed to the poorest sale thread ever, sorry Fishpro.

Thanks for the input everyone! Still not sure if I'll get one or not as I have a very light 2 wt that I really like and I'm not sure if this rod would be a ton nicer to fish with. Does anyone know of anywhere I may be able to go to test cast one of these rods?