Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing Across Generations

Now that the days are shorter, it is a bit more difficult to get out during the week. That and the fact that the kids are back in school and sports and my wife started working severely limits the time I have available. So I've been living vicariously through a few friends I've met on this site via pm's, texts, email, phone calls, etc.

It struck me today the age gap between this eclectic group of guys. The youngest two are in their early 20s and definitely young enough to be my kids, then a couple of guys in their 30s, a couple about my age and a couple a bit older than me. It struck me today that when talking about fishing with these guys, I feel no age difference between them, if that makes any sense. Their just fishing buddies. Fishing buddies are ageless I guess. (all except Taco. That dude is old)

Anyway, no real point to this. I just thought it was pretty cool that my chosen activity allows me to interact with people across generations, and people that I may not have much else in common with. That appeals to me.

(all except Taco. That dude is old)

Well at least its not as bad as pushing Al and Clive around in their wheelchairs.......they make Taco look like a young whipper snapper <--poke--<

My theory is fishing isn't specifically about the people and more about the experience. Kind of like a universal language.....unless you're an elitist.

It makes sense. Fishing is generally passed down generations.

Although the guys in their 20's likely see it as bs'in with some old guys . Age certainly becomes less relevant the older you get. ;)

It's not really a passing down generations thing. All these guys are way more accomplished fly fishermen than I am. I would like the think the information is passing in all directions, when in reality I'm the one learning the most. And that's just because I know the least.

And I agree, those young pups probably are laughing at this old guy! I however respect and revere those older than me!

It struck me today the age gap between this eclectic group of guys. The youngest two are in their early 20s and definitely young enough to be my kids, then a couple of guys in their 30s, a couple about my age and a couple a bit older than me. It struck me today that when talking about fishing with these guys, I feel no age difference between them, if that makes any sense. Their just fishing buddies. Fishing buddies are ageless I guess. (all except Taco. That dude is old)

I know exactly what you mean. There's this really old Texan I talk to about fishing...oh, wait. <--poke--<