Fly Fusion Forums

Why Is This Allowed

jjthom2

Took these pics of logging thats been done on the banks of the upper Red Deer river this summer. The logging companies are clear cutting the entire slope and leaving a 50' strip of trees along the bank. I wonder if there will be a heavy sediment load from run off next spring?!! Sure hope the Bull trout eggs like hatching through mud.

I can't believe these practices are allowed.

post-3249-1254274232.jpg

post-3249-1254274304.jpg

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

hahaha, if you dont like that then dont go down from the dam. There are stretches where is clear cut to the bank and logs with chains have been dumped in the river to help prevent erosion. I dont have any pics but when i went through this spring its is HUGE areas

hahaha, if you dont like that then dont go down from the dam. There are stretches where is clear cut to the bank and logs with chains have been dumped in the river to help prevent erosion. I dont have any pics but when i went through this spring its is HUGE areas

Don't trees and their roots prevent erosion??? Meanwhile the town of sundre wants to redirect the river to keep their dykes from eroding away next flood and we log the valley almost to the banks. Does anyone have any idea how much rainfall an acre of spruce forest can absorb??? There should be a law that keeps logging 500m or so from the banks of any waterway.

If you have an issue please send it to SRD- foresty (they regulate and inspect cuttblock setbacks) and Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) in Calgary.

Address it to the Senior Habitat Biologist

Put Ocurrence on the _________ River in the Subject heading and request a response.

Email it to:

ReferralsCalgary@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

or mail to:

Calgary Office

Fisheries and Oceans Canada

7646 - 8th St NE

Calgary, Alberta

T2E 8X4

Call 403-292-5160 for a follow-up.

You could also send it straight to the Officers in Edmonton at:

Conservation and Protection

Whitemud Business Park

4253 - 97th St

Edmonton, Alberta

T6E 5Y7

It needs to be dealt with if you think its a problem.

While loggng makes more money than fishing, fish protection has stronger legislation.

If you have an issue please send it to SRD- foresty (they regulate and inspect cuttblock setbacks) and Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) in Calgary.

Address it to the Senior Habitat Biologist

Put Ocurrence on the _________ River in the Subject heading and request a response.

Email it to:

ReferralsCalgary@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

or mail to:

Calgary Office

7646 - 8th St NE

Calgary, Alberta

T2E 8X4

Call 403-292-5160 for a follow-up.

You could also send it straight to the Officers in Edmonton at:

Conservation and Protection

Whitemud Business Park

4253 - 97th St

Edmonton, Alberta

T6E 5Y7

It needs to be dealt with if you think its a problem.

While loggng makes more money than fishing, fish protection has stronger legislation.

I'll do that. Thanks for the info.

Before calling your MLA and sending out some letters, a little research turned up some interesting reading.

For reference check on Table 2 on page 24 under large permanent streams.

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/forests/pdf/Sundr...les-Aug2009.pdf

Unfortunately the law is written to clarify the rules the logging companies must follow therefore there is little that can be done unless the operating ground rules were to reflect a 500 m buffer on all large perms. Which Red Deer, Calgary and Edmonton would all have to moved I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

I hate to see stream and river encroachment as much as anybody just look @ the new development on Ghost Res. Ouch that is an eye sore. Approved by all levels of government including DFO.

Before calling your MLA and sending out some letters, a little research turned up some interesting reading.

For reference check on Table 2 on page 24 under large permanent streams.

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/forests/pdf/Sundr...les-Aug2009.pdf

Unfortunately the law is written to clarify the rules the logging companies must follow therefore there is little that can be done unless the operating ground rules were to reflect a 500 m buffer on all large perms. Which Red Deer, Calgary and Edmonton would all have to moved I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

I hate to see stream and river encroachment as much as anybody just look @ the new development on Ghost Res. Ouch that is an eye sore. Approved by all levels of government including DFO.

It just blows my mind that such practices are allowed when they are so obviously detrimental to not only the rivers and the fish, but all the communities along the river.