Fly Fusion Forums

New Fly Reel

Heimdallr

Hey, I'm looking to get a new reel for my lightweight setup (3wt) and I was looking into both the Ross Rhythm and the Orvis Battenkill Barstock. Now, price isn't a big factor because I could get a hold of either for close to the same price, but performance definitely is. So, basically I'm looking for input on how these two reels stack up actually fishing. Things like durability, how do the drags compare, and smoothness of retrieval. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm also open to other reel suggestions.

I've used the Ross Rythym, my father has several. The reel is well machine, felt solid and has a decent drag...... but that really isn't a concern on a 3 wt is it?

My issue with them is the drag know, spind cap and drag assembly is all made of plastic. The drag know could be easily shattered with one drop on creek rocks.

Personally i think 3 wt and under reels should be free of drag and be click sytems only, you are fishing the 3wt for the light line factor anyways

I've used the Ross Rythym, my father has several. The reel is well machine, felt solid and has a decent drag...... but that really isn't a concern on a 3 wt is it?

My issue with them is the drag know, spind cap and drag assembly is all made of plastic. The drag know could be easily shattered with one drop on creek rocks.

Personally i think 3 wt and under reels should be free of drag and be click sytems only, you are fishing the 3wt for the light line factor anyways

If I could find a good deal on a Lamson LP1 I would take it, but most quality reels seem to have a drag system so I might as well factor the quality of said system into my decision. Besides, I fish mostly for cutties with my 3 wt and it is nice to have a bit of drag with a light tippet and an 18 incher on the other end.

That being said, I definitely don't like the idea of being able to damage an important component of the real with a simple drop.

I have an orvis mid arbor Battenkill reel for my 4wt and I find it really heavy. I actually prefer using my other reels over this one for that reason. If spending a little more money is not a big issue and you want a rock solid reel I would check out the Danielsson reels at Fish Tales. These are as light as a feather and have enough drag to stop a freight train on a dime. I highly recommend this reel... it won’t disappoint you.