Fly Fusion Forums

Nymphing Questions Again

Xplorer

Hey guys,

I am having some problems nymphing again....big surprise. I usually fish dries as much as I can or a hopper dropper. I have only really given nymphing a solid effort in the last 2 years. I am ok with setting it up and moving the indicator up or down to ensure I stay on the bottom. What I was wondering is, can you have a little too much weight, slowing the nymph down?

I usually fish with two nymphs, like a SJW and copper john, usually only one split shot 8" up from the top fly.My indicator is usually 7-9 feet up from the top fly, most of the water I fish is 4-5 feet deep. My problem is I seem to catch bottom alot, losing the bottom fly. Plus my indicator drags a bit, goes a little slower than the current, kind of bumping along, is this normal or right? I set the hook on most twitches or stopping of the indicator, pretty much every cast I am setting the hook, some times more than once, but not catching many fish. I still catch 4 to 1, dries vs nymphs and I can't remember the last time I caught something on a streamer.

So, does it sound like I have to much weight or too long between flies and indicator? I am not really sure anymore.

Thanks for any and all advice

Lance

If it’s me, I’d try either losing the split shot or shortening your leader (preferred). With the shorter leader and shot, you'll still get the flies down fast (with a good mend), but won't be hanging up as much. Occasionally touching down is good, means you're in the zone. Keep setting on everything. Also, with the shorter leader, you’ll have less ‘dead time’ from the take to indication. You're going to lose flies nymphing, rules of the game.

Thanks for the tips hopdrop

I was out again today, I removed the spiltshot and shortened my leader to indicator distance. Ironically I lost more flies today fishing the same water, I hooked up more with nymphs today but no fish to hand. I will keep at it.

Thanks again

it could be your flies too dude keep on top using different nymphs too match what is hatching.. small 18s were the ticket for me... but most of them were on a hopper dropper in teh shallow stuff.... fish dont really seem too be in the deep slow yet specially in teh second half of the day