Fly Fusion Forums

Blinged Elk Hair Caddis

Guest bigbadbrent

Guest bigbadbrent

Tied this up for last night's night fish. Caught 3 browns, and was impressed considering none of my other EHC's were working (i double or triple dry fly rig when im night fishing now)

Size 14

Tail/Shuck: Loop of krystal flash

Body: Golden brown ice dub, grizzly hackle palmered and copper wire

Underwing: krystal flash

wing: natural elk hair

I tie in the shuck by looping it over my whip finish tool, then tying it back in, makes a nice little ball, though if it's ratty i doubt it would really matter..

i don't know if they take it for a shuck, or a egg laying caddis or whatever, they like it (bow river fish, love the flash..they're so gangsta)

HPIM0247.jpg

shows the bubble butt better

HPIM0252.jpg

2 minute tie, 2/10 on difficulty

considering none of my other EHC's were working

Wow... really? All I ever use is the good old standard EHC but in a #18... your not fishing 'em too big are ya? Just a thought. Last night was a 15 fish night for me... with at least 7-8 on the standard EHC. This is a pretty sweet pattern though, and maybe this'll sound silly, but you could be fishing over more educated fish than I am right now ;) ;) . I like to walk 10 minutes or more from an access and I don't fish in town for my dry fly fishing though *wink*

Guest bigbadbrent
Wow... really? All I ever use is the good old standard EHC but in a #18... your not fishing 'em too big are ya? Just a thought. Last night was a 15 fish night for me... with at least 7-8 on the standard EHC. This is a pretty sweet pattern though, and maybe this'll sound silly, but you could be fishing over more educated fish than I am right now ;) ;) . I like to walk 10 minutes or more from an access and I don't fish in town for my dry fly fishing though *wink*

oh i know im fishing probably some of the most educated fish on the river, it's just so easy to get to for me, and requires no stumbling in the dark (10 minute walk there turns into a half hour walk back with my night clumsiness, if i was to wander a ways)

I fish them larger, i've found that i've caught more on the bigger ones then the smaller ones, at policemens anyway, probably a different story elsewere