Fly Fusion Forums

Traditional-ish Steelie Flies

maxwell

went on a kick tonight cranking out some traditional-ish style steelie flies waiting too go camping! roughly mimic'd a few classics and made up some too! tied on waddington shanks with berkley coated wire (looped) for trailer hook! enjoy!

pink butt skunk

traditionalish001.jpg

"homer simpson" "peachy pink" "first attempt at mery wing greenhighlander"

traditionalish002.jpg

"hairwing green highlander"

traditionalish003.jpg

blue bug

traditionalish004.jpg

thunger n lightning

traditionalish005.jpg

blue charm ish bug

traditionalish006.jpg

green butt skunk

traditionalish007.jpg

spider man

traditionalish008.jpg

mini blue charm ish

traditionalish009.jpg

mini green butt skunk n mini thunder n lightning

traditionalish010.jpg

prawner n butcher ish!

traditionalish011.jpg

I like those ties. I recently bought a Nor-vise with the optional tube fly setup and may try some steelhead flies similar to your colors and materials that you have used here.

Those look like great ties, should be some effective steel patterns. Only thing is I don't know that they resemble butt skunks, blue charm, or thunder and lightning other than in color. These patterns are general not weighted, although they may have lead around the shank. These are all more intruder style flies, but again, they look great, regardless of what they are called they will catch fish! I've been tying a bunch of my own intruders lately, they're fun and you can get creative with em. I don't recall what you called it, but the blue and black with silver mylar looks like it would be a hot pattern this fall (Blue Bug?).

Headed for Steelhead Alley in NW BC in October, for my very first stab at steelies. Was advised by an addicted steelhead junkie that "skating" October Caddis are "it". So, here for your approval:

October_Caddis.jpg

I've been also told to tie it with a riffling hitch to accentuate the skate.

j

thanks yall! riley i will get up some pics of some intruders ive bin crankin out tonight prob.. drew.. soon!!!!

Awesome man, I'll be up in Terrace in early--->Mid September for some Steelhead, Coho, pink etc etc action! (hopefully). I'll have to try and tie a few of those patterns before I head up, never been before!

If the water is off colour I hear the "purple Tagger" is a good pattern, they tied it during an episode on "Sport fishing on the fly"

Headed for Steelhead Alley in NW BC in October, for my very first stab at steelies. Was advised by an addicted steelhead junkie that "skating" October Caddis are "it". So, here for your approval:

October_Caddis.jpg

I've been also told to tie it with a riffling hitch to accentuate the skate.

j

Yep Skating dry's is pretty much the #$%!!!! They say the drug is the tug..till you hit one up top. Nice looking tie there and yep the Caddis needs a hitch as it tends to get soggy and sink in the choppy stuff.

Guest Jeremie
Awesome man, I'll be up in Terrace in early--->Mid September for some Steelhead, Coho, pink etc etc action! (hopefully). I'll have to try and tie a few of those patterns before I head up, never been before!

If the water is off colour I hear the "purple Tagger" is a good pattern, they tied it during an episode on "Sport fishing on the fly"

I tide some of those up and the Pinks love them in clear water, also had many very chrome flashes come up to the surface when i took the sink tip off. They are honestly a must have fly. I have seen so many steelies come up and chase them. In many different areas!