Fly Fusion Forums

Connecting A Wii To The Internet

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

My kids are begging to have the Wii hooked up to the internet. I hear some people use a wireless router...but it can be annoying to set up and have problems etc.

I also hear some people just put a hardwired internet connection to the Wii.

What is better? Also what issues around viruses etc? I hear some bad viruses now target gaming consoles.

Thanks

sun

If you run wireless with encryption (which you should if other computers use the wireless connection) then you might experience some lag during online gaming as each packet going between the Wii and the wireless access point has to be encrypted then decrypted. If you have the ability to use a direct wire connection then that'll eliminate the problem. I'm not aware of any widespread viruses that affect the Wii.

Guest Sundancefisher
If you run wireless with encryption (which you should if other computers use the wireless connection) then you might experience some lag during online gaming as each packet going between the Wii and the wireless access point has to be encrypted then decrypted. If you have the ability to use a direct wire connection then that'll eliminate the problem. I'm not aware of any widespread viruses that affect the Wii.

I know all wireless is not the same quality...which unit/brand/model is the best?

I don't know if one brand is better than another. Being an Apple guy I use an Airport Extreme and I'm happy with it. In terms of speed, there are a few protocols for wireless - 802.11, 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n. The 802.11n protocol is the newest so go for that if you can. 802.11 is the oldest and slowest and I don't even think that anyone still sells units using that one. Of course, one thing a lot of people don't realize with wireless is that a wireless network is only as fast as the slowest adapter on the network. So if you have a bunch of 802.11n connections and one 802.11a connection, the whole network slows down to the 802.11a speed.

When I still had my HP desktop, we used the WiFi USB connector to hook up to the internet wireless. It is now discontinued, and for good reason. It was very buggy. When it worked, it worked great. Basically set up your desk top as a wireless router and used your existing internet connection through the computer.

Now, with my iMAC, I just share the internet with the built in WiFi and connect through there. No additional hardware required, all built right in. There is a hardline LAN input on the back of the Wii, which would be the easiest, but if you have a LAN, then use the wireless. Works like a charm.

My kids are begging to have the Wii hooked up to the internet. I hear some people use a wireless router...but it can be annoying to set up and have problems etc.

I also hear some people just put a hardwired internet connection to the Wii.

The wireless connector on the Wii works really well. I would suggest you get a Linksys router like this one:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-...32%28ME%29.aspx

It has a startup CD that does a good job of setting things up for you. If you have cable internet it's pretty much just plug in and go, with DSL there are additional registration steps to go through with your provider.

What is better? Also what issues around viruses etc? I hear some bad viruses now target gaming consoles.

Provided you get decent signal strength from wherever you put the router wireless is certainly easier. Encryption lag and these sort of things hasn't been an issue for me, I think Nintendo has done an excellent job of designing their communications for wireless connections.

As far as the viruses go there hasn't been a confirmed case of a virus on a console yet. I wouldn't say that it's impossible but it would be very, very difficult to do.

Guest Sundancefisher
The wireless connector on the Wii works really well. I would suggest you get a Linksys router like this one:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-...32%28ME%29.aspx

It has a startup CD that does a good job of setting things up for you. If you have cable internet it's pretty much just plug in and go, with DSL there are additional registration steps to go through with your provider.

Provided you get decent signal strength from wherever you put the router wireless is certainly easier. Encryption lag and these sort of things hasn't been an issue for me, I think Nintendo has done an excellent job of designing their communications for wireless connections.

As far as the viruses go there hasn't been a confirmed case of a virus on a console yet. I wouldn't say that it's impossible but it would be very, very difficult to do.

I bought the Linksys G wireless router

Is it easy to set up? Easier to get the security going?

I bought the Linksys G wireless router

Is it easy to set up? Easier to get the security going?

Yeah it's pretty simple. Plug the router into your modem (WAN port) , plug your PC into one of the numbered ports and fire up the CD. It helps you setup a default security that will work just select WPA2 Personal as the encryption type, it's the most secure and the Wii supports it.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need help.