Fly Fusion Forums

Heading To Ontario....any Advice For Flyfishing For Bass?

scooby2001

Hello all!

I am heading out to my parents place on a nice big lake with plenty of large and small mouth bass. (full access to a nice fishing boat to boot!) I am going to bring my 8 wt along with a heavy-sinking line and a floating line. This lake is fairly shallow (30 ft at its deepest) and has lots of weeds. Any tips on technique, fly selection etc...? I tried a couple years ago with no success.

Thanks for any input!

GregA

Gurglers on top, in all sorts of colours. (Jack Gartside has them on his website http://www.jackgartside.com/step_gurgler.htm ) Also try his Bass Bug

Clousers and buggers work great for sub-surface. Crayfish area a great pattern (search Steve May's full motion Cray, its a great pattern).

Also try www.flyangersonline.com for a great selection of bass flies.

You can tie weed gaurds on almost anything too.

Pound and skip the fly over the lilly pads and vary the retrieves from fast to slow and even to erratic. Bass will also take nymphs presented just like you would for trout. Approach quiet, stay out of sight, and target areas where the fish may hide to ambush prey.

Cheers,