Fly Fusion Forums

Bull Trout Fishing

pigl

I was wondering what type of rig people generally use to fish for bull trout on streams such as the Oldman, Sheep, Highwood etc.

When I go out on those streams, I usually am hopper-dropper fishing on a 4 or 5 weight and if I run into any bull infested waters will switch to a streamer and put split shot on the leader about 12 inches up from the streamer.

My question is, do people generally do the same, or do people carry an extra streamer rod or sink tip line on a spare spool or reel just to fish for the bull trout? If you use a sink tip line, do you find it gives you an advantage in getting down, or is there really any discernable difference between what you can do with it and a floating line with shot?

Guest bigbadbrent

depending on the river really. I'll use my 5 weight for bull trouting and nymphing, while carrying my 4 for dries (if i bother to bring it, or i'll just bring my 4 and not bother with the streamers, or if im daring throw streamers with the 4...i did land a 27" bull on my 4 weight that took a dry, so it is possible to land big fish on tiny rods)

I use loop to loop connections, so when i want to bull trout i can change my entire line from 6 lb to 15 lb in a matter of seconds. I then use a big honkin streamer, and a bunch of big honkin split shots if needed. Most of the holes you'll fish won't be deep enough or long and deep enough to have to warrant a sink tip, but i know of people who use them to great success (and a lot easier to cast then a 6 inch streamer with 6 split shot attached)

I usually put my splitshot right up to the eye of the hook, to give it a jigging action, but if im getting into the more then 2 split shot, i'll leave the 2 at the hook, and the rest 12 or so inchs up.

I was wondering what type of rig people generally use to fish for bull trout on streams such as the Oldman, Sheep, Highwood etc.

When I go out on those streams, I usually am hopper-dropper fishing on a 4 or 5 weight and if I run into any bull infested waters will switch to a streamer and put split shot on the leader about 12 inches up from the streamer.

My question is, do people generally do the same, or do people carry an extra streamer rod or sink tip line on a spare spool or reel just to fish for the bull trout? If you use a sink tip line, do you find it gives you an advantage in getting down, or is there really any discernable difference between what you can do with it and a floating line with shot?

Spare spool with sinking tip is a lot easier to cast than tons of split shot. Or even an 8ft secion of sink tip line attached to your floating line with a loop to loop connection will work well with a 5 or 6 weight.