Fly Fusion Forums

Dry Fly Hooks

Tungsten

I've switched most of my dries to scud hooks a while ago. I use an Eagle River light wire scud, but you should be able to find something similar in tiemco. The 94840 is a good hook, but if you want a better straight shank, look at the mustad Signatures or Partridge hooks. If you go to nymph hooks, you will need to modify your patterns to comp for the extra hook weight. If you have a heavy hackled fly like a Griffiths Gnat, it shouldn't be a problem, but most won't work so well.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also starting to tie many of my personal dry flies on light wire scud hooks. For a standard dry fly hook I am very partial to Daiichi #1180. The barb is very small and easy to pinch down. Very strong wire and many of the shops I tie for request the Daiichi hook.

• 3 weeks later...
I am also starting to tie many of my personal dry flies on light wire scud hooks. For a standard dry fly hook I am very partial to Daiichi #1180. The barb is very small and easy to pinch down. Very strong wire and many of the shops I tie for request the Daiichi hook.

Pardon my ignorance here Leroy, but what are the reasons for straight eye versus down eye versus up eye hook formats? I could see straight eye hooks tending to not sink so readlily for dry flies, however the logic of the other two excapes me.

Thanks.

I juat like the wider gape. A smaller scud hook can be used with a better hook up, at least in my opinion, than with a regular dry fly fook. The scud hooks seem to be stronger to hold the larger fish. I am not sure if it makes any difference about straight eye, down eye or up eye for hooks. There could be a big difference, but I do not know what it would be. I only know I seem to have better success with the scud hooks not straighting out as the light wire dry fly hooks do. Maybe it is just my heavy hand.

Guest Dennis59

I agree with Leroy on the wider gap most all my drys are on scud hooks I also use them on many of my nymphs I also have used the daiichi 1510 which is there short shank hook or glow bug as they call it. Tried to use them for drys but it maybe just a bit heavy but it does work with a heavy parachute. My hook up with the wider gap has been great. I've used this hook for some of my chromies espeacail for Terry's furaled midge. Works real good.

Daiichi my hook of choice have not had one striaghten on me yet. Mind you I tend to catch my fish on the small side. All kidding aside a great hook.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :laxfisher::fish_jump: