Fly Fusion Forums

Trying To Locate A Flyrod Or Blank

Anyone know where one can find a flyrod or blank in the 13-14 foot range? Not looking for a spey in this but a 5 or 6 weight. Had one years ago but got lost over time somehow. If anyone has info would be much appreciated.

Tyer: Can't help you with the 13 footer, but will be taking delivery of 11' 4pc in that weight range on July 17th, for testing. If the rod is "a winner", there will be blanks available post-production, by March 2010.

j

Tyer: Can't help you with the 13 footer, but will be taking delivery of 11' 4pc in that weight range on July 17th, for testing. If the rod is "a winner", there will be blanks available post-production, by March 2010.

j

Thanks Jack. Let me know how the test goes. I might be able to settle on 11ft but would have to try it first. The 13 ft I got in Germany back in the 80's, sweet rod and light for it's size as well.

• 3 weeks later...

j

Did you get to test this rod Jack?

:)

Ohhhhhh yes! Aside from the personal sense of accomplishment, objectively speaking, it is a "home run".

Keeping in mind it is a spey in design configuration, which makes the "weight designation" out to lunch as far as a single-hand AFTMA rating is concerned, it is a pretty impressive all round switch rod. A 260 grain 4/5 compact skagit line works best as a two-handed configuration and a 250-270 grain (7wt WF) single-hand overhead line is best for all-round single and two-hand casting.

I used a 7wt SA Steelhead taper floating line and it is truly a beautiful loading/casting rod, which also "fished" the 4lb cutts in the Upper Elk River which put a great bend in the rod. I would say a moderate/fast action with backbone when required.

"Bloom" has a prototype with him, if you get a chance to track him down.

j

Thanks Jack but it sounds like it may be too heavy for what I have in mind.

sounds like the girls may need a trip to calloway park this week....which means I get to fish the bow in the evening. I'll keep in touch with you flytyer.

Just to see, I went out on the lawn and tried a 3wt and 4wt WF line...... both are non-starters, no "load". 5wt Sharkskin "Magnum" loaded the rod nicely.

Thanks Tim.

j

Just to see, I went out on the lawn and tried a 3wt and 4wt WF line...... both are non-starters, no "load". 5wt Sharkskin "Magnum" loaded the rod nicely.

Thanks Tim.

j

The main line I intend to use with the rod I would like is Rio Nymph......roll casting will the main type of casting being done if that helps

The main line I intend to use with the rod I would like is Rio Nymph......roll casting will the main type of casting being done if that helps

Going to be in town Thursday and Friday am. Will pm you my cell number.