Fly Fusion Forums

Vehicle Key/shuttle Question

I went to get a door key cut for my vehicle to give to our shuttle for this year. Guy at Cambodian Tire told me that he won't cut it as it's encrypted and has a chip. Guy at Home Depot says no way if there's a chip due to the liability with damaging the chip. This is all news to me - my old Mazda had a chip and I got a door key cut for it and gave it to Louise and left my ignition key in the car - like everyone else does. So now, I guess with the encryption for the remote start, it's muddying the waters. I have a Saturn Outlook....anyone with an Outlook or in a similar situation have any suggestions for me? I'm not about to go out and spend $250 for another FOB just to give to a shuttle and I know myself well enough that I shouldn't give away my spare. Any suggestions on where I can get a door key cut or any other options appreciated. Thanks.

I went to get a door key cut for my vehicle to give to our shuttle for this year. Guy at Cambodian Tire told me that he won't cut it as it's encrypted and has a chip. Guy at Home Depot says no way if there's a chip due to the liability with damaging the chip. This is all news to me - my old Mazda had a chip and I got a door key cut for it and gave it to Louise and left my ignition key in the car - like everyone else does. So now, I guess with the encryption for the remote start, it's muddying the waters. I have a Saturn Outlook....anyone with an Outlook or in a similar situation have any suggestions for me? I'm not about to go out and spend $250 for another FOB just to give to a shuttle and I know myself well enough that I shouldn't give away my spare. Any suggestions on where I can get a door key cut or any other options appreciated. Thanks.

I wouldn't want to leave my chipped key in the car. Easy target. I gave Louise my spare key (with chip) which she keeps year round. I've done this for several years without an issue.

I have a GMC Sierra with a chipped Key. I went to Shaganappi to get a key cut. It cost $25 for the key because of the chip. I went outside with the service tech and watched him "program" the key. All it involved was putting the old key in the ignition and some fancy mojo then putting the new one in and programming it. Just make sure you take your VIN in with you as I guess there are different keys even across the same model of vehicle.

Hope that Helps....

Brad

thanks guys - gonna call the dealership first and if that's too much $$ I'll go to a locksmith. I recall Mazda wanted $250 for a chipped key...that's why I thought it'd be too expensive to get it done now.

And, Gil, I'd love to give Louise my spare...but we have a problem with certain people in my house (i.e. not me!!!) "misplacing" keys...and without our spare I would be hooped!