Fly Fusion Forums

Simple Tie Working Well - Caddis Worm

kungfool

Yeah, work well in late spring through early summer and sometimes in winter. There are a lot of these net spinners in our rivers. I'd never hit the Crow without a few of these on board.

KF .. the kicker with this pattern is the black lead head-thorax. Serves two purposes...imitates the body parts and gets the fly down. I've tied with two beads: one small and one larger ... or just with one lead bead and just used more darker material for the thorax. Funny part is that I decided to create this fly from scratch based on my pictures ... and was most pleased with the results and thinking I am some hot shot SOB for being so bloody inventive. HA HA HA. :)B) That is, until I did a search for net spinner patterns. The Europeans are all over the use of net spinner patterns and have some fancy ties. Do a search.....

Thanks FA. The natural colors are all over the map. And each individual has two or three color blends in the body section with the top being darker. Belly colors from near black..dk brown ... reddish..greenish ..bluish..pinkish and greeny-pinky cream....loads of color variation which reflect natural variations in one species...several species maybe. Male v female...age..food...natural surrounding colors (i.e. vegetation) ...

Clive, I tied some of those Caddis up a few months ago and gave them a try out at Muir. They worked well especially in the evening. I figured if they didn't want to take them as a caddis they may willing to take them as a scud imitation although none of the fish would confirm that theory for me.

Guest rusty

I love the look that mono rib over the plastic gives.

I've pumped the odd fish on the Bow and they've had caddis larva all year. Smaller ones in the winter (#18) and bigger ones now (#12-14).

Seems like a staple in their diet this year.

Nothing ever beats that pattern. Looks like you use mono rib.......I do too. I'm not sure if that's the way everyone ties them....

What kind of dubbing is that, if you don't mind sharing? Do you use thinskin or scudback for the shellback?

The body is just olive rabbit mixed with a little natural rabbit. The thorax is charcoal antron. Thinskin is what I use for the shell.

Guest DennisS

Hi guy been a long time since I've been on your site. Very nice pattern looks a lot like a Chech nymph and they are supose to be really good.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S

NLFT&F

What a coincidence! Those are working for me at the moment, too! I've been finding loads of these caddis creatures under rocks in fast current. About a size 16 with legs at the dark head and the greenish area smoother. I've been tying some with a green/black combination of dubbing and some with hare's ear grey/black dubbing. Ziploc shellback. Extra fine gold wire for segmentation. Not quite up to Kungfool's gold standard but appealing to fish nonetheless. Last week my hatchery chums inhaled these flies like coke off a mirror. Some things about flyfishing are the same, no matter where you live ...