Fly Fusion Forums

Throwing Line Into D Loop

headscan

In the past couple of weeks I've been playing around with throwing line into my D loops on single-hand spey casts. Usually the situation is that I'm nymphing fairly close in with the single hander and during the course of my drift I've stripped part of the head of my line into the rod. Rather than letting line out again before casting, I've been letting go of the line for just a second as I'm forming the D. The first time I did it was purely by accident as my finger holding the line down slipped, but it worked ok. I haven't been able to throw too much line into it because then my D loop ends up hitting the water. I can't do it consistently yet, but when it works it's great. Haven't tried it at all with a two-handed rod yet either, but I can't see where the situation would arise for me that I would need to with a skagit or scandi head. Maybe it would be useful with a mid-spey or long belly line. Anyone else tried this out and have any consistency to it? So far I'm going purely by the feel of the rod loading to know when I've thrown enough line into the D.

In the past couple of weeks I've been playing around with throwing line into my D loops on single-hand spey casts. Usually the situation is that I'm nymphing fairly close in with the single hander and during the course of my drift I've stripped part of the head of my line into the rod. Rather than letting line out again before casting, I've been letting go of the line for just a second as I'm forming the D. The first time I did it was purely by accident as my finger holding the line down slipped, but it worked ok. I haven't been able to throw too much line into it because then my D loop ends up hitting the water. I can't do it consistently yet, but when it works it's great. Haven't tried it at all with a two-handed rod yet either, but I can't see where the situation would arise for me that I would need to with a skagit or scandi head. Maybe it would be useful with a mid-spey or long belly line. Anyone else tried this out and have any consistency to it? So far I'm going purely by the feel of the rod loading to know when I've thrown enough line into the D.

Hey HeadScan

This can work for a given amount of "extra line" however, at some point the extra line will of course collapse the the back loop if there is not sufficient line speed. But mostly if you think about it... what is happening to the rod loading? At some point the rod will just unload completely. Then you have to pick that load up going forward again. So it is a very fine balancing act indeed.

If you feel you do not have sufficient back cast room, move the anchor out toward river center and pick up the loading by lifting your hands a little more. Or maybe use a big in-swing cast and throw the anchor out (for single ) toward mid river.

It is a hell of a lot of fun experimenting like that though. Thats a great way to learn. Take things to there extremes and see what happens.

scandi nailed it!!!!!!! a relating topic imho would be hauling when you form a d-loop it does help build line speed but when u touch and form teh anchor you lose most if nto all of that momentum!!!!!! fun too mess around tho and i still find myself doing both of those thing when i can bored!