Fly Fusion Forums

Long Line Indicator Nymphing

well I fished a 6ft deep fast chop last week with great success, with a #4 wire sjw, at 7ft from the indicator (or maybe a touch less, like 6ft), then one more foot, and a weighted stonefly nymph, and no split shot at all. Had I been missing tapping bottom I would have added a split or two (BB size) until I was tapping on every drift.

I think what both me and psuedo are getting at (in different ways) is that your leader needs to be tight to detect strikes. I do it by suspending my flies just slightly deeper or even right at the exact depth of the area I am fishing, and varying length often as I change locations or even work through a run. He does it by using a longer leader and dragging flies a bit, which in turn saves you from chaging your setup all the time.

Now I've never seen Psuedo fish, but from my own experience, when my flies are dragging the fish know it. Ever had a queitly sipping bow river fish take a dragging dry fly? I sure haven't. I assume the same happens down below. Unless your fishing emergers and then it's wise to let flies swing at the end of each drift, and as they come up off the bottom you will get fish chasing and hitting them (with no loose line problem, becuase your taking them on the swing).

anyways, good luck out there.

maybe it would help us if you explain how your setting up your drift with "indicator upstream of flies". I mend my indicator upstream of my flies initially, but physics dictates that the force of motion as my flies sink and my indicator starts moving downstream, that by the time my flies are in the zone their directly below and either suspended or nearly so, by my indicator.

All I know is that I had fished the Bow River dozens of times without a fish and the very first time I went out with Hawgstopper I caught 23 fish in an afternoon. I have never seen anybody as passionate about fishing as him. I pretty much had to drag him off the river at dark and he was my guide!!