Fly Fusion Forums

Canon Waterproof Camera

It looks like Canon has finally come out with a waterproof point and shoot. Does anyone have any experience with it? I'm a big fan of Canon and I'm thinking of changing from my Pentax Optio to the Canon.

Its awesome! I bought it when it first came out about a month ago. Its a beautiful, I came from a Pentax Optio w30 which was good but started to deteriorate over time. Pic quality, focusing speed, user friendliness are awesome on the canon.

I bought one today as Wazzy had recommended one to me about a month ago.

McBain Camera has a sale on and they are selling this month for 379.00

The Powershot D10 is a 12.1mp compact camera, it takes advantage of Canon’s new Digic4 processor and has all the features you would expect to find in a “tough” camera. Including being waterproof to 10m, shockproof when dropped from 1.22m, (I had to ask myself, what happens at 1.23m?!) freeze-proof down to -10°C and dust-proof… Canon PowerShot D10

Here’s what the press release says;

Designed for adventure: Canon’s first digital waterproof camera

Canon today launches its first waterproof digital compact camera: the 12.1 Megapixel PowerShot D10.

Engineered for those with an adventurous, active lifestyle, the PowerShot D10 combines take-anywhere levels of toughness with exceptional image quality. Canon’s DIGIC 4 processor delivers ultra-responsive performance and outstanding, richly detailed images, while a new Smart Auto mode uses Scene Detection technology to deliver effortlessly great shots.

For the ultimate in hands-free, take-anywhere operability, the PowerShot D10 also offers compatibility with an extensive accessories system.

Goes where others can’t

From surfing to snorkelling, skiing to mountaineering, the PowerShot D10 is designed to accompany users on every adventure – it’s waterproof to 10m IEC/JIS IP Protection Rating IPX8 equivalent, can withstand the shock of a drop onto a hard surface from 1.22m, is dustproof IEC/JIS IP Protection Rating IPX6 equivalent and will function at temperatures as low as -10oC.

A range of protective accessories are available to keep the camera safe in challenging environments, including soft case, shoulder, neck and carabiner straps See Additional Information document. Thanks to an innovative connection system on the corners of the camera’s body, a secure and convenient set-up can be tailored for different activities. Users can also customise their camera’s appearance with an optional coloured Front Cover Set, and protect it from knocks and scuffs with a soft case.

Exceptional quality

Incredible 12.1 Megapixel resolution is captured by the camera’s sensor, allowing the freedom to crop or enlarge images while retaining outstanding image detail. The 3x zoom lens offers a range of versatile framing options, with Image Stabilizer preventing camera-shake from causing unwanted blur. This is particularly useful when participating in the high-movement activities for which the camera is designed.

Easy to use

To ensure that users stay focused on the action, DIGIC 4 powers a host of intelligent features that make great photos effortless. A new Smart Auto mode uses Scene Detection Technology to analyse the shooting scene in detail – checking subject brightness, contrast, distance and overall hue. The camera then selects the optimum mode from 18 possible choices, ensuring perfect settings for the scene.

Even the most active situations can be photographed blur-free thanks to Canon’s Motion Detection Technology, which detects both camera and subject movement and adjusts settings accordingly. Naturally great people shots are assured by Face Detection Technology, which now also includes new Blink Detection, to avoid the disappointment of mistimed people shots. Canon’s i-Contrast brightens dark areas in an image without blowing out lighter areas.

The PowerShot D10 also features a special 2.5” PureColor LCD II, which has been specially modified for better outdoor performance. Protected by a 2mm protective shield, it offers double the brightness of a normal PureColor LCD II – allowing easy framing or image review in virtually any environment.

From the beach to the ski-slopes, a wide range of shooting modes and Special Scene modes – including dedicated Underwater, Snow and Beach modes - delivers instant fingertip access to the correct settings. FaceSelf-Timer simplifies group shots by waiting until the user enters the frame before shooting.

“The PowerShot D10 is a boundary-breaking camera,” commented Rainer Fuehres, Head of Canon Consumer Imaging Europe. “It brings the hallmarks of the PowerShot range – exceptional imaging and ease of use – to places where many other cameras simply cannot go.”

Pricing & Availability

The PowerShot D10

Canon Powershot D10 Key features:

* Waterproof (to 10m), shockproof (1.22m), freeze-proof (-10°C), dust-proof digital camera

* 12.1 Megapixels

* 3.0x optical zoom with optical Image Stabilizer

* Smart Auto mode with Scene Detection Technology

* DIGIC 4 for ultra-fast response, superb image quality and intelligent

* Exceptionally bright 2.5” PureColor LCD II with 2mm protective shield

* Combats blur with IS and Motion Detection Technology

* People shots made easy with Face Detection Technology, Face Select & Track and Blink Detection - plus Face Self-Timer and Auto Red-Eye Correction technologies

* Optional accessory system includes Shoulder & Neck Strap Set and Carabiner Strap Optional straps are not designed for use under water plus Front Cover Set

* Range of shooting modes and Special Scene modes

* 30fps VGA movies