Fly Fusion Forums

Looking To Upgrade To A 4pc 6wt From A 2pc

webby

Hey, I'm wanting to upgrade from my 2pc 6wt Sage Launch. I want a 4pc so it's easier to transport (like if i plan to fly to bc for a weekend sorta thing). I've been wondering what type of rod to get. My 2pc is a 9'0, and i'm wondering whether or not to stick with a 9'0 or go to a 9'6. Any ideas? I've been thinking about the Sage Flight as an upgrade from the Launch. I also like the VT2 but don't know if i'll notice a different. I'm not the most elegant fly fisher, and have only been doing it for about 4 yrs or so. I'm looking to all you guys for your wisdom to help guide my decisions. I've been floating the Bow more this year, but want a rod that is versatile enough to be used on lakes as well. Also, if i'm fishing the Livingston i want something that would work there too.

Looking forward to your thoughts,

Cheers

Webby,

I just went through the same thing that you are going through. Litterally, like last week, I bought a new 4pc rod to replace my 2pc. I went with the 8'6" 5wt 4pc TFO Sig 1 series. Fit my budget and I liked how the 8'6" felt compared to the 9'0". But, that was me. I tried a couple different rods, and the thing that helped me most is that I brought my own reel and line with me so that I could get a feel of what the rod would be like for ME, by using MY stuff. Using a different set up, reel and line, from your own, may not give you the best idea (at least that was the advice given to me, and it made sense) of what the rod will be like once you get it home and gear it up.

So far as the length goes, if you are planning on using it on the Bow as well as smaller strems like the Livingstone (I assume it's smaller as I've never been there) you might want to keep the length shorter as opposed to longer. The extra length would be great for nymphing on the Bow (I was nymphing with my 8'6" and I felt it did the job just fine), but you may not like it if you are on a stream lined with lower hanging trees and such.

Just my two cents based on personal experience and advice offered to me and read on the board.

Good luck with your new rod. The four peice upgrade is WELL worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
sick little stick dude!!!!!!!!! specially for the price they are at now~!

Went out last night for a couple of hours on the Bow to try her out. WOW!!! Just awesome to cast. I even half popped the cherry on the rod with short LDR. got all the flyline in to the rod so just leader was out and he spit the fly right at me. I guess I'll just have to try harder next time.

Yeah you cant complain about the price. Sure beats the 600 I was thinking of spending on the other rod i was looking at.

Went out last night for a couple of hours on the Bow to try her out. WOW!!! Just awesome to cast. I even half popped the cherry on the rod with short LDR. got all the flyline in to the rod so just leader was out and he spit the fly right at me. I guess I'll just have to try harder next time.

Yeah you cant complain about the price. Sure beats the 600 I was thinking of spending on the other rod i was looking at.

Dang that sucks man, but its all fun in the end.

I haven't tried out the AEG Trout Bum Series yet but I know I absoultly love my 3wt Multi and my 6 weight multi.

I diffently need to try casting one of them as I have been hearing alot of very good things about this line.